Problems with Drive Names

Hooked4Life

Heres my dilema.. I am using Intel D865GLCLK motherboard with (2) Hardrives on the Primary IDE and (2) Hardrives on the Secondary IDE Channels on the Motherboard. The drive names are fine. Parity, Disk1 , Disk2 , Disk3.

I have (1) Ultra133 TX2 PCI disk controller card, and (1) Ultra100 TX2 PCI disk controller card. If I connect 1 harddrive to the Ultra133 TX2 PCI disk controller card (which is in my first PCI slot) on the Primary Channel It displays as Disk8.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I want to add (2) more 300G IDE drives and I dont want the drive letters as Disk9 and Disk10.

Let's number the IDE ports.  On the motherboard you have IDE0 and IDE1 (each IDE port controls 2 hard drives).

If you only have 1 Promise controller installed, it's ports will be IDE2 and IDE3.

If you have 2 Promise controllers, the nominal numbering is like this:

Controller farthest away from CPU: IDE2 and IDE3

Controller closest to CPU: IDE4 and IDE5.

But this situation would require crossing IDE cables in a 12-array system, so the "go" script on the Flash re-orders the IDE assignments for a 2-Controller configruation such that:

M/B Primary = Parity, Disk1

M/B Secondary = Disk2, Disk3

Controller closest to CPU = Disk4, Disk5, Disk6, Disk7

Controller farthest from CPU = Disk8, Disk9, Disk10, Disk11

In your case,  just move the cable over to the other Controller and you'll see Disk8 now become Disk4.

Let's number the IDE ports.  On the motherboard you have IDE0 and IDE1 (each IDE port controls 2 hard drives).

If you only have 1 Promise controller installed, it's ports will be IDE2 and IDE3.

If you have 2 Promise controllers, the nominal numbering is like this:

Controller farthest away from CPU: IDE2 and IDE3

Controller closest to CPU: IDE4 and IDE5.

But this situation would require crossing IDE cables in a 12-array system, so the "go" script on the Flash re-orders the IDE assignments for a 2-Controller configruation such that:

M/B Primary = Parity, Disk1

M/B Secondary = Disk2, Disk3

Controller closest to CPU = Disk4, Disk5, Disk6, Disk7

Controller farthest from CPU = Disk8, Disk9, Disk10, Disk11

In your case,  just move the cable over to the other Controller and you'll see Disk8 now become Disk4.

Currently the last Hard Drive is connected to the Controller card closest to the CPU. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but the way I have it configured should work, correct?

I set up your configuration of mixed controller cards (Promise Ultra100 + Ultra133), and what do you know, it is different  >:(

I tried both ways: Ultra100 close to CPU, and Ultra133 close to CPU, same result: The controller closest to CPU gets ports IDE2 and IDE3, and the one further away gets IDE4 and IDE5.

So again, to fix your problem, move the cable to the other controller.  If you are setting up a 12 disk array and don't want to cross your IDE cables, then you will have to  edit the 'go' script on the Flash to correct the slot numbering assigned to the UnRaid driver.

If you think PATA hard drive numbering is confusing, wait until you try to configure SATA drives  :P

I set up your configuration of mixed controller cards (Promise Ultra100 + Ultra133), and what do you know, it is different  >:(

I tried both ways: Ultra100 close to CPU, and Ultra133 close to CPU, same result: The controller closest to CPU gets ports IDE2 and IDE3, and the one further away gets IDE4 and IDE5.

So again, to fix your problem, move the cable to the other controller.  If you are setting up a 12 disk array and don't want to cross your IDE cables, then you will have to  edit the 'go' script on the Flash to correct the slot numbering assigned to the UnRaid driver.

If you think PATA hard drive numbering is confusing, wait until you try to configure SATA drives  :P

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to verify my issue and I am glad that I am not losing my mind. ;)

Archived