BPN-SAS2-826EL backplane question

Herdo

I just ordered a Supermicro CSE-826 case (12-bay) which comes with a BPN-SAS2-826EL backplane.

I'm starting to question my decision because after looking at some pictures of the backplane, there appears to be only 2 SAS connectors.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wikiDE/images/7/76/Backplane-BPN-SAS2-826EL1-back.jpg

How does this work?  Shouldn't there be 3?  I was under the impression that 1 8087 connector handled 4 drives, but maybe that isn't right?  I'm questioning how I am going to connect 12 drives to this thing.

Maybe it will just lower the throughput of the drives if they all run off of two?

Also, this page https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/BPN-SAS2-826EL1_SAS_Expander_Backplane is stating that:

"All drive slots are connected by a single cable with the RAID controller"

Now I'm more confused than ever. 

I did however find an old ebay listing selling the BPN-SAS2-826EL1 and it says in the description "3 sas ports", but the funny thing is that their picture only showed 2 ports as well.  So maybe I'm just not seeing the third port somewhere?

Can someone help me out here?

EDIT:  After talking to somebody else on Reddit, it appears I was right about it working with all 12 drives but limiting bandwidth, and all 12 drives connect through just 1 SAS connection.  Considering there is no striping with unRAID and I'm connecting through a 1Gbps NIC, I shouldn't hit any sort of bottleneck with this backplane though.

I guess my only question now is, will this still work with an H310 flashed to IT?  It has 2 sas connectors, but the description says "8 ports".  Will that matter, or should it still work fine with all 12 drives through 1 SAS connection?

The BPN-SAS2-826EL has a built-in expander, there are 2 models, the one you linked is the BPN-SAS2-826EL1 with a single link expander, there is also the BPN-SAS2-826EL2 with a dual link expander.

It *should* work with a flashed H310, use only one link, the other SAS connection is for cascading with another backplane.

Single link bandwidth is just enough for 12 disks, even during parity checks/syncs, the max will be ~185MB/s, as long as the expander is SATA3 compatible (and it should be), and all your disks are SATA3, avoid mixing older SATA2 HDDs or it will bring the whole speed down.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The BPN-SAS2-826EL has a built-in expander, there are 2 models, the one you linked is the BPN-SAS2-826EL1 with a single link expander, there is also the BPN-SAS2-826EL2 with a dual link expander.

It *should* work with a flashed H310, use only one link, the other SAS connection is for cascading with another backplane.

That's basically what I have found.  It's got two ports but the second is used for connecting to another backplane.

Single link bandwidth is just enough for 12 disks, even during parity checks/syncs, the max will be ~185MB/s, as long as the expander is SATA3 compatible (and it should be), and all your disks are SATA3, avoid mixing older SATA2 HDDs or it will bring the whole speed down.

I actually figured something different.  If it's a SAS 2 port, wouldn't that be 6Gbps?

6Gb/s = 6000Mb/s

6000 / 8 = 750MB/s

750 / 12 drives = 62.5MB/s

Or am I not understanding how this works?

Thanks again!

Archived