[SOLVED] unRAID like a dead fish in the water after upgrade 6.19 -> 6.20

dahou

I was SO much awaiting this release... after the reboot I can't:

... reach the web interface

... see it under network

... ping it

... the router can't find it either

Now, I didn't hook it up to a monitor yet, because that's a huge PITA with my setup. Any other ideas?

Could I just pull the usb drive and fix it on my workstation?

Thanks

There's virtually no way to make a meaningful suggestion on how to proceed without being able to see what the boot process looks like on a display, so by far the best next-step is to connect a monitor and keyboard to your server.

One thing you COULD do in lieu of that is to install a clean download of v6.2 on your flash drive.  If you want to do that, do this:

(a) IMPORTANT:  Copy your entire flash drive to a folder on a PC so you have it safely backed up ... i.e. create a folder called "UnRAID Flash Drive w6.2 Issue" and copy the entire flash drive to that folder.    Be CERTAIN that you know where you've saved it; and confirm that you have your key file easily accessible.

(b)  Download v6.2 from Limetech, and UnZip the files into a folder.

©  Follow the instructions to create your flash drive -- e.g. format it as FAT32, with a label of "UNRAID";  then copy the entire contents of the 6.2 download to the flash drive;  and finally run MakeBootable with Admin privileges.

(d)  Now put the flash drive in your server and boot.

IF that still doesn't boot to a state where you can get to the Web GUI, you'll really need a monitor and keyboard to resolve your issue.    The server may not be booting to the flash drive;  the system may be encountering a problem when it's attempting the boot; etc. => but without the ability to see what's happening it's almost impossible to troubleshoot it.

... Depending on just how much of a PITA it is to get a display/keyboard hooked up, I'd really recommend doing that FIRST, before redoing the flash drive.    It would be much more productive to KNOW what's happening before you try to resolve it.

I've seen two other users who had major issues with 6.2 where the system wouldn't boot after the upgrade.  In one case it simply "hung" during the boot process ... that turned out to be some kind of incompatibility with the flash drive -- replacing the drive resolved the issue.  In the other case, the system got into a constant reboot loop when 6.2 attempted to boot; but if you select the GUI mode boot at UnRAID's startup menu it boots fine.  That hasn't been really resolved yet, although the user simply set it to always boot to the GUI mode so it's working fine for now.

Thanks for the advice. I hooked the unRAID box up to a screen to find out, that it just wasn't booting.

So, before doing a lot of troubleshooting I decided to reinstall.

After copying my /config over the (now working) new installation it broke it. I got rid of the powerdown and preclear plugins and bootet into GUI mode once, which somehow did the trick.

It's running for now.

Problems like this are why it is worth it to me to spend extra money on the MB and get IPMI so I don't have to use a monitor.  It does cost more (little to allot) but for me it is worth it.  Even if I would only need it once a year.

Agree => IPMI is a VERY nice feature.  I only have one system that supports it, but all my future server systems will certainly have it.    On the other hand, since 3 of my servers are on a shelf in my "work room", and are fairly close to a system I keep for running diagnostics and/or doing recovery from hard drives [it has both SATA and IDE ports brought out externally, so it's very easy to connect a drive for testing];  it was simple enough to just put in a KVM so the display and keyboard normally used for the diagnostics system can be instantly switched to any of the servers if I need to see what's going on and/or make any changes.