User Shares - Move Files to assigned disks

Trynn

Hey,

i made the mistake to config my user shares after data is alread on the shares.

Now i read this guide here:

https://lime-technology.com/setting-up-your-file-structure-and-user-shares-on-unraid/

What is the best way to move existing files over to assigned disks?

For example,

I have

/movies/ on Disk1/2/3/4.

No i set /movies/ to only use Disk1. How to move subfolders of 2/3/4 to disk1?

Seems to me like a pretty obvious normal task, but was not able figure out the easiest way to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

i made the mistake to config my user shares after data is alread on the shares.

Now i read this guide here:

https://lime-technology.com/setting-up-your-file-structure-and-user-shares-on-unraid/

What is the best way to move existing files over to assigned disks?

For example,

I have

/movies/ on Disk1/2/3/4.

No i set /movies/ to only use Disk1. How to move subfolders of 2/3/4 to disk1?

Seems to me like a pretty obvious normal task, but was not able figure out the easiest way to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance.

This is probably not a normal task as most people set up the shares before copying the data to the disks.

Having said that there are several ways to do this, but the easiest is probably to install the unBalance plugin.  Another way is to run the 'mc' (Midnight Commander) commander from a console/telnet session.

One additional Question,

when i rebuild a disk (just recently replaced one) my system is working with 140-150mb/s speed.

When i move files with MC between disks, i merely get 30-40mb/s overall. But if i monitor it, i can see that sometimes it uses 80mb/s++, but only for a short period.

Any idea where my bottleneck could be?

MSI C236M Workstation (7972-018R)

Intel Core i3-6100

8GB DDR4 2133 ECC

1 Samsung 840 Pro Cachedrive

5 WD Red 3TB

One additional Question,

when i rebuild a disk (just recently replaced one) my system is working with 140-150mb/s speed.

When i move files with MC between disks, i merely get 30-40mb/s overall. But if i monitor it, i can see that sometimes it uses 80mb/s++, but only for a short period.

Any idea where my bottleneck could be?

Parity updates?

When rebuilding a disk you are reading from all disks except the one being rebuilt, and that one is only written to. Not only that - everything is read/written sequentially, best case scenario for hard drives.

When moving files between disks parity needs to be updated, which means both reading and writing. Hard drives do not excel at this. Spikes are probably due to caching.

Turbo/reconstruct write might be of interest, don't have a forum link ready at the moment, but I know there is something nice written somewhere. :D