Run Unraid on a QNAP NAS

Ex0danify

Hello there Unraid community,

A few years ago (4-5 years now)I bought a QNAP TS-469L and back then, I really did not regret it. But today, I really don't like the software anymore.

Sure: It has a clean Interface and is very easy to administrate, but for my taste now, it's too closed.

I already have an Unraid Server Running on my main Gaming Rig and I must say, I'm damn satisfied with  how smooth it is running.So I thought: Why not also run Unraid on my QNAP NAS Box?

I tried booting unraid 6.2 on the Qnap with the USB drive from my gaming rig --> Worked

It detected all drives --> Nice

RAM utilisation was at 35% (3GB RAM Installed)--> Seems OK to run a few Dockers and use SMB shares

CPU Usage was at 5-25% Idle --> Should suffice

The NAS has an Intel Atom [email protected] (which has a 64-bit instruction set I guess. The CPU is not listed in the Intel Ark DB)

The NAS has a 512MB DOM storage for the system.

Can I use the DOM to boot Unraid? Does a DOM have an UID I can register?

I have two reasons for wanting it to run from DOM:

1. I have one USB port more

2. I have the fear that, when the QNAP OS boots from DOM  instead of Unraid (for whatever reason), It whipes my disk at initialisation.

Has anyone ever tried such a thing? Does anybody know if things will work with 3GB and said CPU?

Interesting plan!

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+D2701+%40+2.13GHz

Seems enough for a file server.

I read somewhere about moving the unRAID to another device to boot from.

AFAIR the issue was a worn thumb drive.

The worn thumb drive would still work so it could provide it's UID but would fail

for anything else.

So i guess you could move the unRAID to DOM but would still need the USB for it's UID.

Can't you just wipe the DOM for safety reasons?

The NAS has an Intel Atom [email protected] (which has a 64-bit instruction set I guess. The CPU is not listed in the Intel Ark DB)

Almost all Atom CPUs are 64 bit capable, even the much older ones (but not the very early single core N270).  From what I can find the D2701 looks like a very close relation of the D2700 and would be very well suited. (http://ark.intel.com/products/59683)  This is an interesting way to re-use a nice piece of hardware.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I understand your question.

Do you want to mount your existing QNAP raid because you have files on it, and want to run UR as OS?

In that case, the answer is NO.

I just set up my TVS-871u-rp with UR, and it runs flawless. Added an extra pci-e card with M.2 drive as cache.

Also upgraded RAM and CPU.

Will try to run UR only from DOM, since the DOM is a USB-drive. Does anyone now if these DOM's have uniqe UID?