[Solved] Unable to access using SMB.

Hi,

I do not have SMB access from Windows 8.1/10 to my unraid box.  I can use FTP, NFS, SSH, and the http interface without any issues. 

I did not make any changes to shares that I can understand would cause this problem.

I have attached the diagnostics from Tools -> Diagnostics, I hope there is something there that can give some hints.

When I try to access the unraid SMB shares, I get prompted for credentials.  I enter them in 3 times, then I get the error message "The specified name is no longer valid"

I've tried disabling SMB v2 and v3 as per the MS article without success.

I've removed the saved information in Credential Manager

I was on 6.19 when this happened, upgraded to 6.2.1 and then 6.2.2 with the same problems.

I don't run any dockers, and the only plugin I have installed is the Dynamix local master.

Thanks for any help/ideas on what to do.

**Resolved**

Reloaded 6.1.9 onto the USB key, then copied my config folder from previous setup onto USB drive. 

Everything appears to be working now, the only thing to hash out are permissions but at least SMB is now working again.

I had to add my VM back in again, no big deal there. 

What i did notice is that on my non-working install, the folder etc\samba\private was missing.  I have this folder now so perhaps this was an issue.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

nas-diagnostics-20161101-1311.zip

2 suggestions I can add are:

1. put your unraid box and any clients in the same workgroup in your network.

2. Make the unraid server the 'current local master browser' - you may find that another device on your network is the local master and this will cause issues with smb shares

1.  They are on the same workgroup.

2.  I set that about 30 minutes ago.  I imagine it will take some time for it to replicate. 

Update:  Unraid box is now the local master, verified by nbtstat -a and also using the local master plugin.  Still unable to see any shares from NAS. 

Have some of the SMB shares set as Public with no security. Still not able to connect

Go to the Windows Credentials manager and delete all credentials for your unRAID server.  You should not need them if you did not make any changes to the default shares setup! (If asked for credentials after doing this, try not entering any and see what happens.)

If that does not fix the problem, try shutting down all of your Windows computers and restart them after about five minutes. 

Go to the Windows Credentials manager and delete all credentials for your unRAID server.  You should not need them if you did not make any changes to the default shares setup! (If asked for credentials after doing this, try not entering any and see what happens.)

If that does not fix the problem, try shutting down all of your Windows computers and restart them after about five minutes.

I have removed the credentials from Credential Manager.

No luck with blank credentials for accessing the shares.

Starting to wonder if I should just restore a previous flash drive backup, though I haven't been great at doing backups and I think the last full flash drive backup I have is 6.0b15.  Which I would be happy with since everything worked.  Is it as simple as just copying the files onto the existing flash drive?  I haven't had to do any such thing yet since the system just ran perfectly until this weekend.

Problem is not that simple.  The issue is most likely on the Windows side of the equation.  You said thing worked until a few days and you haven't changed anything (that is on the unRAID side). Remember that Windows 10 does automatic updates and things happen to your computer(s) without you being aware of it.  Plus MS has been very stingy with information about those updates so you don't have clue about what changes were involved.  The problem is further complicated by the fact there are three major version of Win10--- Home, Educational and Corporate.  And I think each one has different security  models. 

You should search this section of the forum for Win 10 issues and see if you have really tried everything.

One minor straw-- Change the workgroup name on all of the computers so that it is in all capital letters on each computer  (Windows and Linux handle capitalization of file and folder/directories differently and I don't know how SMB resolves this issue.)  You should  probably reboot the Windows computers to make sure things are actually changed. 

Problem is not that simple.  The issue is most likely on the Windows side of the equation.  You said thing worked until a few days and you haven't changed anything (that is on the unRAID side). Remember that Windows 10 does automatic updates and things happen to your computer(s) without you being aware of it.  Plus MS has been very stingy with information about those updates so you don't have clue about what changes were involved.  The problem is further complicated by the fact there are three major version of Win10--- Home, Educational and Corporate.  And I think each one has different security  models. 

You should search this section of the forum for Win 10 issues and see if you have really tried everything.

One minor straw-- Change the workgroup name on all of the computers so that it is in all capital letters on each computer  (Windows and Linux handle capitalization of file and folder/directories differently and I don't know how SMB resolves this issue.)  You should  probably reboot the Windows computers to make sure things are actually changed.

I'll try a few things.

The clients I access with SMB are:

1-Windows 10 Pro workstation

1-Windows 8.1 Pro workstation

1-Windows 7 Pro workstation

2-Android phones (Samsung running Android 6.0, Xiaomi running 7.1, all done through Solid Explorer)

NFS is accessed by with no issues:

1-media box running Kodi 16.1

1-media box through SPMC 16 running android 5.1.1

Is there any hints when it states this at the console login screen after it boots?

"Default via 192.168.1.1 dev br0 linkdown"

"192.168.1.0/24 dev br0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.56 linkdown"

I'm not sure what that really means.

When I go into the Settings -> Network Settings, I get this on the console

"Device eth1 does not exist"

I'm not sure where it is getting eth1 from?