Power Supply Bay Drive mounting

TSM

I purchased a new case recently, and it has 2 areas in which a power supply could be mounted.  Since I don't want\need a 2nd power supply, naturally my mind started pondering if there was a way to mount drives in that area. 

Has anyone ever seen a device that would allow this, out of the box?  I realize it would be kind of a niche product, but after a lot of googling I was kind of surprised that I didn't find anything.  Surely I can't be the first person that has ever thought of this. 

most cases have more then enough space to mount drives these days so not an overly common thing.

I know my common spot for ssd's is to double sided tape to the bottom of the case (this adds a leet aspect)

I do know that on ebay you can buy HDD bay mounts that you could rig in there but they would heat up rather bad due to the lack of air flow in there.

a few of these mite work but yer that heat will be the killer

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hard-Drive-Caddy-Tray-Carrier-Sled-Screws-Apple-Mac-Pro-2006-2008-/172401629206?hash=item2823f01816:g:C20AAOSwh2xX-V6R

best regards.

This drive cage works very well for mounting 4 hard drives in a variety of spots inside a case.  I've seen it "hung" from the top of a case;  used on the bottom where there's extra space; etc.

With an unused space large enough for a power supply, you could easily put one of these in that spot.  You could probably orient it so the fan blows out the chassis hold for the power supply, and could probably even drill holes that match the location of the PSU mounting holes so it would be held in place using a couple of those screws (wouldn't need more than a couple screws).

http://www.caselabs-store.com/double-wide-magnum-standard-hdd-cage/

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I was hoping to be able to find a solution that didn't require any modding, but it's looking more and more like if I want to do this I may have to get over that.

And it's always interesting to see what others are doing too

Not that you want to go the caselabs drive cage route but if your curious about those, I would recommend them as well. I'm putting one together right now using the Fractal Define S and (3) of the 4 drive cages in the front to start. So it will hold 12 drives to begin with and can hold another (3) sets of cages so another 12 drives down the road mounting them to the top where a typical radiator will go. So in reality, you could stuff 190-240TB into a mod tower chassis. Just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the fact that they are simply very nice units that hold 4 drives with adequate ventilation space between them; the CaseLabs cages also provide excellent airflow for the drives with the built-in holder for a 120mm fan.  As CyberSkulls is planning to do, you can suspend these at the top of a case; or mount them on the bottom => whichever is more convenient for your needs.

They allow you to mount a VERY large # of drives in a tower form-factor while ensuring they are all adequately cooled.