Upgrade to 6.2.4 won't boot

Tony13

Hi Everyone,

So I upgraded to 6.2.4 via the plugins section and now my unRAID USB won't boot, I just get a flashing white cursor of my mobo looking for an OS. I've checked all my boot options (UEFI and legacy), cleared a memtest and my server can still boot other live USBs and PXE boot. Which leads me to the conclusion of a corrupt update?

Could anyone provide advice on what to do to get my system up and running? I know my disk configuration but that's about it.

Many Thanks.

If you can access your flash drive there is a folder in the root called 'Previous' if you copy the bzroot and bzimage files from the folder to the root of your flash drive, overwriting the same two files that are currently in the root, then reboot your server it will roll you back to your previous version.

Hi Everyone,

So I upgraded to 6.2.4 via the plugins section and now my unRAID USB won't boot, I just get a flashing white cursor of my mobo looking for an OS. I've checked all my boot options (UEFI and legacy), cleared a memtest and my server can still boot other live USBs and PXE boot. Which leads me to the conclusion of a corrupt update?

Could anyone provide advice on what to do to get my system up and running? I know my disk configuration but that's about it.

Many Thanks.

From what version did you upgrade?    Do you have a recent backup of your Flash Drive?  If you don't, make one as you try what ashman70 suggested.  (By the way, you are not the first one to have this happen.  Coming from early versions often causes issues as changes have been made in the boot configuration parameters in recent versions.  And the problem is usually resolved with a bit of effort.)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, sorry I've only just returned to this post, I went away on holiday for a few days and came back to no internet which has finally been resolved today.

I was coming from 6.2.2 and no I didn't backup ::) I used the bzimage and bzroot files in Previous but still have no luck booting.

Any other recommendations?

I left the rest of the files in the previous folder, I only copied bzimage and bzroot to the root of the flash drive.

When I power on, the system POSTs then goes straight to a blinking white cursor in the top left on a black screen. I've removed all boot options except for the flash drive.

Let's try this. 

First, backup your Flash Drive by copying all of the files to another folder on your computer.

Next, download version 6.2.4 from LimeTech.  Unzip it. 

Now, copy, from the root in the download, any file with a name beginning  with "make" to the Flash Drive.  You will have to over write the existing files.

Then, in the syslinux  folder of the Flash Drive delete all of the files.  Now copy all of the files for that folder from the download to the syslinux  folder on your Flash Drive.

Now, run the proper  make_bootable file for your OS.  Remember to run as Administrator when using Windows. 

Now see if it boots. 

See if the Flash Drive will boot in another machine.  (Don't worry, unRAID will NOT write anything on any hard drive installed on that computer UNLESS you tell it to do so.  You won't as the only thing you are looking for is to see if you get a Linux login prompt on that computer.)

EDIT:  If it doesn't boots, give the manufacturer's name and complete model number of your MB.

Well it booted fine on my X220. So I messed around with the BIOS/UEFI and there was a launch option set to Auto for the flash drive, turns out it was trying to UEFI boot it which in turn seems to mess up the fallback BIOS boot. Setting it to Hard Drive allows it to BIOS boot correctly. Must have decided to see the flash drive as a new device after the upgrade and apply the Auto setting.

Thank you for the support, very much appreciated.

Well it booted fine on my X220. So I messed around with the BIOS/UEFI and there was a launch option set to Auto for the flash drive, turns out it was trying to UEFI boot it which in turn seems to mess up the fallback BIOS boot. Setting it to Hard Drive allows it to BIOS boot correctly. Must have decided to see the flash drive as a new device after the upgrade and apply the Auto setting.

Thank you for the support, very much appreciated.

Glad to hear that it is now working.  Be sure to remember what you did as it will probably happen again in the future. 

Could you post-up the spec's on your MB as there will be someone else in the future who will be having the same problem.  I will probably remember your issues (and the fact that it was resolved) and by searching we may be able to help them.  (These issues and their solutions seem to be specific to a single motherboard.)

• 1 year later...

Hello,

im having a similar experience after attempting to apply the latest patch. I copied the recommended previous files to the root of the flash drive and now it shows the unraid boot options but will endlessly loop back to the main menu not matter what option I try.

any ideas?

thanks,

steve

Archived