High CPU usage all the time except after reboot

I have run in to my cpu running at 80-95% all the time.

As per the need help section logs attached.

Unraid 6.2.4

Where can i find the currently running processes and what they are using, so i can track down what is causing it. I have found the section which tells you what processes are running but not how much cpu time they are using.

Thanks

bumblebee-diagnostics-20161221-2014.zip

Plex:

nobody  16373 11617 99 20:14 ?        00:01:25 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder -codec:v h264 -i /data/Movies/Insurgent 2015/Insurgent.mkv -threads 0 -nostats -q 3 -loglevel quiet -progressurl http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/bif/progress -filter_complex [0:V:0] scale=w=320:h=240:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease [out] -map [out] -r 0.5 /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media/localhost/7/07cabf68a951f4b5ff4d500e3459345d32b0a3e.bundle/Contents/Indexes/tmp/img-%06d.jpg

ok thanks

hmm didn't have this issue on my old server must be a new option in plex.

any ideas how to stop it as plex shouldn't be doing any transcoding as i mainly use direct play and i know no one was using that file when i downloaded the logs. Well no one who i have given access to. the web ui says there is no optimizations in progress either.

ah ok thanks

ill let it run for a few days and see if it carries on after that. As is is not currently impacting the server just making my cpu fan run loud.

I have one other issue i have just found with my cache drive. When i enable the cache drive in the array all my dockers disappear. When i disable it again they all appear back again. Does something change in the docker setting when a cache drive is present?

Shall i start a new thread for the above or will here do.

ah ok thanks

ill let it run for a few days and see if it carries on after that. As is is not currently impacting the server just making my cpu fan run loud.

I have one other issue i have just found with my cache drive. When i enable the cache drive in the array all my dockers disappear. When i disable it again they all appear back again. Does something change in the docker setting when a cache drive is present?

Shall i start a new thread for the above or will here do.

IMO any docker issues i just delete the image and start over. it doesn't take that long to do.

Thanks drawde I'll guess I'll leave it for now then. I haven't got the time to redo all the dockers this side of Christmas.

Hi trurl

There was no cache drive installed when I setup unraid as I was transferring data off my old server.

Now I have finished the data transfer I have the ssd free to setup the cache drive.

The dockers dissappear when I enable the cache drive as I guess they are setup on the data array. My assumption is like you say docker is looking on the cache drive for the docker images. Is there a way the transfer them on to the cache drive or should I just do what drawde says and redo the dockers with the cache drive enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

O.k. now Christmas is over i have some more time to work on this again. Looking for some help from some people more knowledgeable than me.

The dockers are installed in

/config - /mnt/user/appdata/

The disk share says they are stored in

appdata application data - - - 28.7 GB 15.3 TB Browse /mnt/user/appdata

Disk 1: 73.4 MB 2 TB

Disk 2: 92.9 MB 2 TB

Disk 3: 28.6 GB 1.88 TB

Last time i enabled the cache drive it broke my musicbrainz server. Reinstalling that docker is no great hassle but i would rather not start again with plex, sonar, headphones and couchpotato.

Is there an easy way to enable the cache drive and move the dockers to that drive as i assume they will run better from there.

As mentioned before when i enable the cache drive all the dockers disappear, i am assuming that the docker location in the unraid settings changes when a cache drive is present.

Any help appreciated.

O.k. now Christmas is over i have some more time to work on this again. Looking for some help from some people more knowledgeable than me.

The dockers are installed in

/config - /mnt/user/appdata/

The disk share says they are stored in

appdata application data - - - 28.7 GB 15.3 TB Browse /mnt/user/appdata

Disk 1: 73.4 MB 2 TB

Disk 2: 92.9 MB 2 TB

Disk 3: 28.6 GB 1.88 TB

Last time i enabled the cache drive it broke my musicbrainz server. Reinstalling that docker is no great hassle but i would rather not start again with plex, sonar, headphones and couchpotato.

Is there an easy way to enable the cache drive and move the dockers to that drive as i assume they will run better from there.

As mentioned before when i enable the cache drive all the dockers disappear, i am assuming that the docker location in the unraid settings changes when a cache drive is present.

Any help appreciated.

Still not clear what your problem is. Try this. Disable docker service in Settings - Docker. Enable cache drive and then post a diagnostic. Possibly you have filesystem corruption on cache. If we can get your cache drive working without dockers, we can get dockers working with cache drive.

O.k. so i have generated 3 log files

diagnostics-20170101-1853-precacheenable

Logs as server have be operating for the last 10 days or so.

diagnostics-20170101-1923-cacheenabled

Cache was enabled here, docker tab says no dockers are installed.

Log below in a separate post as giving me an error of size to large.

diagnostics-20170101-1928-cachedisabled

I disabled the cache drive again here. Dockers are back and working, musicbrainz survived this time started up with out a database error.

diagnostics-20170101-1853-precacheenable.zip

diagnostics-20170101-1923-cacheenabled.zip

I see the errors on disk3, i re seated the sata cable and the sata controller, i wait and see if it gives any more errors.

So after the last message i searched the forums to see if i could find any info as there was nothing in the manual.

One person said you have to run the mover after enabling the cache drive to populate the disk. I did that it took over 4h and the dockers still don't show up when the cache drive is enabled and they are now broken with the cache drive disabled.

In the file structure of the cache disk all the config and system files are in the place they were on the array, so now i have no clue what is going on and really don't want to spend several hours redoing the dockers let alone have to rebuild the plex meta data.

Any more help on this appreciated.