Cashe Drive Question

Lou

Not sure what to have on the cache drive if it will affect anything later, I have set these dir. listed below on the cache. Are they ok or should I change any due to possible future problems? the reason I did this is it showed up as errors in Fix Common Problems plug in after a fresh Unraid install. Thanks in advance for any input.

Media  = use cache disk (yes)

Pictures = use cache disk (yes)

appdata  = use cache disk  (only)

domains  = use cache disk (yes)

isos  = use cache disk (no)

mymusic  = use cache disk (yes)

prefs  = use cache disk (no)

system = use cache disk (yes)

Lou

You would probably want domains to be use cache only (other wise performance will suffer if the VM's vdisk gets moved over to the array), and appdata to be use cache: prefer instead of only (due to this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.msg524491#msg524491)

Thank you for the quick reply Squid I have reset them as recommend. Sorry I had isos marked with both no and yes my bad it is set to NO.

Thanks again

Lou

Shares like Media, Pictures and Music are not required to use the cache disk.  It's entirely up to you.  If you want new files written to these shares to be written first to the cache disk for the inherent performance advantages, then set use cache disk to yes.  Mover will move the new files to the parity protected array on its schedule.  Otherwise you can set it use cache disk to no for these shares and new files will be written directly to the parity protected array, albeit more slowly than to a cache disk.  It's a different story for the VM and Docker related shares, but for standard data shares it's just a choice and I don't think there are any more subtle implications of that choice.

Shares like Media, Pictures and Music are not required to use the cache disk.  It's entirely up to you.  If you want new files written to these shares to be written first to the cache disk for the inherent performance advantages, then set use cache disk to yes.  Mover will move the new files to the parity protected array on its schedule.  Otherwise you can set it use cache disk to no for these shares and new files will be written directly to the parity protected array, albeit more slowly than to a cache disk.  It's a different story for the VM and Docker related shares, but for standard data shares it's just a choice and I don't think there are any more subtle implications of that choice.

Ok thank you for the feedback, glad I asked this question I now have a better understanding for the cache drive.

Thanks guys tdallen and Squid great help.

Lou