Removing a user share but keeping data/directory present?

Hello all!

I am pretty sure this has been addressed prior but I didn't seem to find an answer.  Let's try again...

I made some directories within my unraid pool.  Most of the time I just reference them by jumping into "disk1", "disk2", etc., and going from there.

For convenience, I made a couple of user shares named the same as the existing directories already, so that they will show up as a valid share.  Works fine.

I now cannot eliminate those shares.

The directories are not empty so the trick of erasing the name from the shares screen and applying that does not work...of course, as by design.

If I rename the folder then try the above at the share screen, unraid updates the name of the share.  Folder "A1" on disk and user share "A1" to start.  Rename A1 on disk to A2.  Erase A1 from share screen and apply...poof!  Now shows as A2.  By design I suspect.

Tried making another folder and copying the data into that, making the first one now empty.  Delete the share name.  Unraid then comes back with the new folder name.

What am I missing here?  For note, these are all on the same physical disk if that makes a difference.

Kevin.

Joe:

I see how the mechanism works...it follows the directory around, even if I make a copy and place it on another drive in the array.  Handy I suppose as it ensures the share is always valid within unraid...but...

I still need to make the user share disappear and keep the data behind.  Is this impossible?

Kev.