Having trouble with Windows 10 VM

hi ashman70

I think i just experienced the same issue last night. Will give some context and behavior, but i believe it's similar...

1) My windows 10 VM was created in unraid 6.2.4, with i440fx-2.5. Passthrough of 1060 gpu. All nice and dandy

2) Upgraded to unraid 6.3.1. Now the default machine version in windows 10 template is i440fx-2.7 (but my win10 VM still defined as 2.5). VM still working fine for 3-4 days already...

3) I changed in the VM definition the version of machine to 2.7. Started the VM. Windows loading screen gets stuck to the "blue windows" logo. Had to force shutdown from unraid VM page. Tried several times.

Sometimes the VM Page in the unraid gui loads only the top of the VM list, except the "Windows 10" VM - since the list is being ordered alphabetically, "Windows 10" VM it's at the bottom of page.

Somehow the unraid is stuck because of this VM being hanged, and Unraid does not respond properly.

I had to hard-reset the Unraid. Soft reset (pressing short on the power button) did not shut down the Unraid

4) I reverted the change in the VM from machine version 2.7 to 2.5. Then i got the "automatic windows repair" or similar. i let it for 10 minutes, but it got stuck again!

5) Restarted the entire box. Started the VM (still defined as 2.5) - windows loads properly! Finally...

Restarted once again, just to be sure it's consistent: i was able to properly restart the Windows VM and login. Phew!

6) Tried to passthrough my stubbed PCIe USB 3.0 card (new card, so first time when i tested it). Windows again get's stuck.

Error message in the VM log is similar to below, relevant for the device id of the PCI USB card:

BAR 2 mmap unsupported. Performance may be slow

this i understand it's just cosmetic? But my VM does not start :)

7) Removed the passthrough of PCIe USB 3.0 card from VM definition. VM starts again, consistently.

All these trials were done with 3:2 cores assigned to the VM (and excluding cpu0 and it's HT pair, which is left for unraid).

virtio drivers are still on 118, although the lastest is 126-2. Did not attempt to change that...

After this excercise, I feel that windows 10 vm tries to adapt to the HW changes (machine version, PCIe USB card) and fails. No idea why, or where should i check further - windows logs ?? 

Reverting the H/W changes solved the problem, but not instantly, since it required extra restarts.

Is machine v2.7 not stable? or it's just not advisable to change the version after installation is stable?

However, in your case, you did not perform such changes... So i would try the following:

1) start in safe mode the VM - is this an option?

2) assign cpu0 only. remove any overclocking (are you?). remove non required passthrough devices (sound, usb controllers, etc...) 

3) is there an option to try to boot from the CD iso (instead of booting from HD) then attempt to load the drivers, and do a repair ? (just thinking if possible, never tried it under unraid)

Few other thoughts:

1) this is an issue i saw more frequently after upgrading to 6.3.0: etc/msr_feature_control

But even if this message appears, it does not affect the boot of the VM. at least i could not find an effect...

2) i440fx vs q35 - as i understood, i440fx is for windows based and q35 is for linux based OS'. It may work to put q35 for widnows, but it's not as per the recommendation. So i think that you'r eok with i440fx and should not use q35.

-d

ps: edited a bit...

Edited by darianf