Ways to benchmark your unraid server in file transfer speeds

unraided

The 'robocopy' command is a little tedious for home use. I've used it for work purposes before, which was mentioned earlier to retain ACL/Security properties of files and folders. That is great for those purposes, but for a home environment, with basic security or no security at all in some scenarios, I won't bother with it. I was a believer of TeraCopy before, but it annoyed me as it can only run one instance at one time, were as in Windows Explorer you can run multiple copy/move instances at the same time (Maybe TeraCopy Pro allows that, not sure). 

The 'robocopy' command is a little tedious for home use. I've used it for work purposes before, which was mentioned earlier to retain ACL/Security properties of files and folders. That is great for those purposes, but for a home environment, with basic security or no security at all in some scenarios, I won't bother with it. I was a believer of TeraCopy before, but it annoyed me as it can only run one instance at one time, were as in Windows Explorer you can run multiple copy/move instances at the same time (Maybe TeraCopy Pro allows that, not sure).   

you can set teracopy to use multiple isntances, you can also set it to automatically share an instance if you are alaredy occupied with a disk because trying to read or write to ateh same disk twice is slower so it can queue up your next ransfer after the first ones done.

• 1 month later...

An app that I recently read about, and started using a little, is Crystal DiskMark. You'll have to map your unRAID shares to disk letters to have it test them, but it does seem to work, and has quite a few options.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

Here's a screenshot of it testing my new unRAID server disk1, a WD 1.5T 5900rpm disk (note that I have NOT added a parity drive yet).

khUVO.png

• 1 month later...

Archived