How to add cache drive to existing server

cbtiger

I use unRAID as a Plex/Sonarr/Couchpotato/SABnzbd machine and have all the dockers set up and running great.  I've physically installed a 500GB SSD for a cache drive, but need to figure out how to add it correctly to the server.  I want SABzbd to download and unpack files on it to increase the unpack speed compared to a regular HDD.  I also want Plex to use it to make the response a bit snappier when I'm using Plex.

I know I have to change the directories these Dockers point to, but I'm not sure how to do that without messing everything up.  Does anyone have any tips?  Thanks in advance

Set your appdata share to cache-prefer if it isn't already, and run mover. That should take care of getting all your dockers "working storage" onto cache.

Create a cache-prefer share for the downloads and set your download clients to use it. I use NZBGet instead of SABnzbd but same principle.

I don't use Couchpotato or Sonarr but if you understand docker volume mapping you should be able to figure it out. And if you don't understand volume mapping, you should figure that out. There is a Docker FAQ sticky in the Docker Engine subforum.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help, trurl.  I followed your instructions and everything is working great now.  For other people that may stumble upon this post, the above directions are what you need to do, but there were some quirks that took me a while to figure out.  I'll just type out what I did step by step:

1. Installed and mounted cache drive
  2. Went to Shares and set my "appdata" cache setting to Prefer.  I don't remember now, but I believe that you need to stop the server array before you can do this.
  3. Went to Settings > Scheduler and clicked Move Now.  Also set the mover to run every hour so the cache drive wouldn't fill up with movies/TV shows.  It took a little while to transfer the ~8GB of data to be moved over to the cache drive.
  4. Turned off all my dockers (not sure if you actually need to do this), then went into the settings of each one (click the name, not the icon), clicked "Show advanced settings..." on the bottom, and changed the AppData Config Path to the cache drive.  I think you need to toggle "Basic View" to "Advanced View" in the upper right corner to be able to change the path.  Note: when you are editing the path, you need to make sure the "Host Path" and "Default Path" are pointing to the same cache path or else it won't change it. Example: my Plex path used to be "/mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer" and I changed that to "/mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer/" in both the "Host Path" and "Default Path" fields.  Apply and Save.  Do this for all dockers.
  5. Changed all the "Downloads" and "Incomplete Downloads" for SABnzbd, Sonarr, and CouchPotato to "/mnt/cache/Downloads/". When I ran the Mover, it essentially copied the same folder directory structure to my cache drive, so you should be able to easily navigate to whatever path you had before, but this time just make sure it is on the cache drive.

That's it.  You shouldn't have to change any settings inside your actual docker programs.

• Like 1