Recommendations for STEAM LIBRARY

cpthook

Hello Forum

I'm interested to know the best way to configure my Steam gaming library and wondered if there are any performance advantages when choosing the location of vDisks.  Currently, my primary vDisk sits on a 250GB SSD mounted off the array using UD, but I plan to expand my library and will need additional storage space. 

My concerns are these and how they may affect the speed, smoothness or just overall performance:

• SSD vs. HHD?
  • Should vDisk with STEAM library be created on /off the array?
  • Should library remain on Primary vDisk?

I'm thinking I may just have to try different options in order to gauge what's properly suited for my rig, but I'm sure there are lots of KVM Gamers on here who can offer some great options.

Thanks trurl, but this option seems more suited for STEAM sitting on a Win VM.  Which is IMHO, the best option when considering Game Titile options available and controller options outside of the standard KB/Mouse.  But what if I am using SteamOS VM for gaming?

I have my Steam library on a separate 1TB SSD (so non-cache, non-array unassigned device) which I mount as the /home directory in SteamOS. I suspect the performance of a 1TB vdisk would not be great (but I haven't tested this). Of course you lose redundancy, but all the game files can be re-downloaded.

Archived