Need Help with Plex Docker, 100% Memory usage

So I just installed the unRaid on my newly assembled desktop (i3 6100, one stick of 8G DDR4) and using it as a NAS box and Plex Server.

I installed the limetech Plex docker and started to add media. After media are added, I found that if Plex start to analyze my library, the RAM usage would go through the roof real quick. and once it reaches 100%, the Plex would crash and the WebGUI would freeze, and then it would stop the analyze task, and everything would go back to normal.

This also happens when the media are added to library and they start to automatically analyze the media.

The media are tv shows and movies, about 3tb categorized into 4 libraries.

I'm using a cache drive, and the appdata share is on the cache drive. 

I tried different dockers from Plexinc and the binhex, no luck

Dose anyone experiencing the same issues? it's there something I'm missing? 

ADD: I noticed I don't even have to do it in batch, just analyze one movie would spick the ram usage to 80

Thanks!

Edited by georgeq

Hi georgeq,

I have the exact same problem, been running plex (plugin not docker) for years without issue but a couple weeks ago i started seeing very mem usable to the point where the unraid system crashed completely (usually take about 24 hours). I switched to using a docker and this fixed the issue a week or so and then i updated the latest version and problem started again.

I'm amazed there hasn't been more people reporting this issue, the only thing i can think of is most people have more than 4GB RAM. Either way i think the current Plex version is has issues with memory leaks, i'm trying to figure how to downgrade to earlier version. I've also bought another 8GB of RAM to hopefully this will help.

Regards,

ADZ

Hey adz2000

Which docker are you using? I tired all of them and every time I add media or analyze the media, the memory usage will force the task to abort and crash unraid's WebGUI. 

However, I tried to use the plugin provided by PhAzE, and I added a cache drive (SSD) and mapped appdata (config) to the ssd, and I everything works great for now. I added all my media and they are analyzed and ready to watch. 

I do want to know why the docker version doesn't work tho, consider the docker is more organized and most of the developing force has moved to docker rather than plugin. the docker it worked until I updated it to the march version, the one with the blue aero-glass background.

I do think maybe there's memory leak, and if there's is one, more ram is not going to help. Mine problem is more aggressive than yours tho. I'm still waiting to see if the plugin version works 

Hi georgeq,

I'm using Linuxserver.io and it was working great until i upgraded to latest plex version, before that i had the Phaze plugin also on latest version of Plex (same mem leak issue).

My guess is the problem started with version Plex Media Server 1.4.1 or 1.4.2, i'm trying to figure out how to force the docker to downgrade.

If i get it working i'll let you know.

As getting buying extra memory i'm not suggesting this will fix the problem but only delay the system crash so i don't need to restart the docker daily to free up memory, currently plex is leaking about 1GB per day. My 4GB system normally runs out at about 61% usage, right now its 91% and climbing.

Adz 

No luck get same memory leak on 1.3.4.3285-b46e0ea as well; a new Plex version was released a few days ago but i also see the memory leak there as well.

No idea how to fix it, perhaps an update will be released eventually that fixes the problem, until then i guess I'll just have to put up with it, adding an extra 8GB has helped as the crash only happens every couple days now. One thing that is better using the Docker, is only the Docker crashes now instead of the entire system when using the Phaze plugin. The docker also seems to automatically restart after a crash so other may have the issue and not even know unless the crash happen when they're watching something.

Regards,

Adz