Best CPU Core Assignment

Hi All,

Just want to make sure I'm understanding the CPU/Hyper-thread core assignment and making the best use of my Dual E5 V4s here.

As per attached screenshot I've got 4 Windows 10 virtual machines.

Each has 3 cores assigned with their HT child's also assigned.

All these cores are isolated in syslinux.cfg for the machines.

I've emulator pinned 0,16 to vm1, 4,20 to vm2, 8,24 to vm3 and 12,28 to vm4.

Any suggestions or is this as good as it gets?

Untitled.png

@StuartMacfarlane  That's okay what you have done but you don't need an individual core for emulator pin for each VM. You will see that when the VM's are running those cores will rarely be utilised.Yours are using about 2%. So you are wating cores. The emulation in qemu/kvm is quite efficient.

We use emulator pin to make sure the cores used by the VM are 'clean' so not to have latency. You can just try using 1 or 2 cores for all 3 machines for the emulator pin. It should be enough. So pinn all vms emutor function to say 4/20. Then you have 2/3 other cores for other things.:D

Also my personal view is dont isolate in the syslinux. In my tests doesnt make a great deal of difference. If you are worried about unRAID docker containers using cores that your vms may need then you can pin docker containers to cpus as well.

Best to post VM related stuff in the VM section of the forum. A lot more people who are likely to reply, will read it there. (if a moderator see this post maybe they can move it)

Edited by gridrunner