4K transcode and CPU for PLEX

I'm hitting an issue with either transcoding, ram transcoding, disabling transcoding, that I just cant figure out. It could be cpu dependent, but I think it is the fact I cannot seem to get my transcode directory to mount my ram is the issue. I dunno, but lets go over what I have observed.

First off, I am using binhex PLEX container. I have added a /tmp mount point however it does not appear to be registering. I see the following while starting a stream with 4k 60GB content. I see 12 cores pegging at 100%, however the ram usage in top doesnt move. I would think that it would grow by several GB in size.

Specs. I have 128gb ram, 2 - 6 core opteron 2425HE's. Whole house GBE.

I would love to jump to the conclusion that its the processors that are 2 slow, however I really need to get a ramdisk running to see if thats the fact. Can I not just disable transcoding? My 4790K and gtx 1060 eat up 4K content without a sweat if I bypass plex and use VLC.

So you don't want the stream to be transcoded or not?

If you don't want it to transcode, you have to set the quality to original in the video setup of the Plex client.

If you want it to transcode, be sure to set the path to the transcoding folder in the Plex server settings under transcode. Remember that this is the container path and not the host path.

7 hours ago, saarg said:

So you don't want the stream to be transcoded or not?

If you don't want it to transcode, you have to set the quality to original in the video setup of the Plex client.

If you want it to transcode, be sure to set the path to the transcoding folder in the Plex server settings under transcode. Remember that this is the container path and not the host path.

Yea I tried to change this in the client (lg webos2) but it does still kickoff the transcode when I start the stream and watch TOP from cmd line. All hardwired. 

I did figure out that the processors cannot handle realtime transcode as well unfortunately, close, but not fast enough by about 20% it seems. If I upgrade the processors up to the fastest models for the old opteron platform, a jump from 2.1ghz to 2.8 ghz, it may or may not be enough. I would love to be able to ekk out 4k on the current server, but I think its just too old. Time for new hardware.

1 hour ago, dukiethecorgi said:

The other possible solution is to look at your client, and see WHY it's transcoding.  Right now it looks like your client is reporting to the server that it can't handle direct play

I did see this in the DNLA client settings. .131 is the LG. Is this what you might mean?

IP=192.168.1.131,DirectPlay=true,DirectStream=true,LocalResolution=1920x1080,RemoteResolution=1920x1080,OnlineResolution=1920x1080,LocalVideoQuality=99,RemoteVideoQuality=99,OnlineVideoQuality=99,SubtitleSize=60,AudioBoost=100,MusicBitrate=320;IP=192.168.1.103,DirectPlay=true,DirectStream=true,LocalResolution=1920x1080,RemoteResolution=1920x1080,OnlineResolution=1920x1080,LocalVideoQuality=99,RemoteVideoQuality=99,OnlineVideoQuality=99,SubtitleSize=60,AudioBoost=100,MusicBitrate=320

9 hours ago, jollymonsa said:

I did see this in the DNLA client settings. .131 is the LG. Is this what you might mean?

IP=192.168.1.131,DirectPlay=true,DirectStream=true,LocalResolution=1920x1080,RemoteResolution=1920x1080,OnlineResolution=1920x1080,LocalVideoQuality=99,RemoteVideoQuality=99,OnlineVideoQuality=99,SubtitleSize=60,AudioBoost=100,MusicBitrate=320;IP=192.168.1.103,DirectPlay=true,DirectStream=true,LocalResolution=1920x1080,RemoteResolution=1920x1080,OnlineResolution=1920x1080,LocalVideoQuality=99,RemoteVideoQuality=99,OnlineVideoQuality=99,SubtitleSize=60,AudioBoost=100,MusicBitrate=320

Is your LG 4k? Looks like it's only reporting full HD capabilities.

Suggest not using the DLNA app on the TV as it most likely only supports a small subset of the TV capability.  Better off using the TV's Plex app and connect to your Plex server on local wired network.  Adjust the settings in the app to use original quality.  If audio and/or video codec is not supported by TV Plex will transcode.

14 hours ago, unevent said:

Suggest not using the DLNA app on the TV as it most likely only supports a small subset of the TV capability.  Better off using the TV's Plex app and connect to your Plex server on local wired network.  Adjust the settings in the app to use original quality.  If audio and/or video codec is not supported by TV Plex will transcode.

I didn't notice he used dlna....