ASUS P7P55D-E 9 SATA ports; thoughts and comments

erikatcuse

I'm looking for a new board and came across this one at new egg.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131620&cm_re=P7P55D-_-13-131-620-_-Product

It's an ASUS model P7P55D-E.  It had 9 SATA ports and then 2 PCI 16x slots so you could run 2 4x sata 4 port cards and be at 17 drives.

Is anyone running this board?  With an I3 this could become a nice board to use with unraid.

sweet.. just might be a bit on the bleeding edge.

I'm sure the intel express chipset is supported.

The JMB363 is supported.

The Marvel 6Gb/s might be bleeding edge. see if you can locate the chipset and then search on linux compatibility.

Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in

- 6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports

- Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller

- 1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices

- 1 xExternal SATA 3Gb/s port

- 1 xSATA 3Gb/s port (black)

Marvell® SATA 6Gb/s controller:

- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)

I am curious about the logic of going for such an expensive board.

9 sata is great but for slightly less money you can get a 6sata board and a 8 port PCIe card. So less money and 14 sata ports against 9.

To take a 9 board to 20 you still need 2 sata cards. Perhaps you could save a few bucks going for a 8 card and a 4 card but probably not.

What am I missing ... is it just the cool factor? Not trying to take away from your purchase just trying to follow the logic

I know it's a bit of an overkill but the main reason is the power consumption of the Core i3.  Also in my last server I had the LSI 8 port x8 pcie card and it's not totally supported yet.  And since I have to put drives on the pcie bus I want each to have it's own channel.  I did purchase 2 Adaptec x4 cards so I'll have 17 drives which is more than enough space since I also bought the 1200 case and 4 5-3 bays for it for a total of 16 bays.

9 sata is great but for slightly less money you can get a 6sata board and a 8 port PCIe card. So less money and 14 sata ports against 9.

To take a 9 board to 20 you still need 2 sata cards. Perhaps you could save a few bucks going for a 8 card and a 4 card but probably not.

What am I missing ... is it just the cool factor? Not trying to take away from your purchase just trying to follow the logic

I know it's a bit of an overkill but the main reason is the power consumption of the Core i3.  Also in my last server I had the LSI 8 port x8 pcie card and it's not totally supported yet.  And since I have to put drives on the pcie bus I want each to have it's own channel.  I did purchase 2 Adaptec x4 cards so I'll have 17 drives which is more than enough space since I also bought the 1200 case and 4 5-3 bays for it for a total of 16 bays.

Understood. What your saying is there are sepcific reasons for you but not global reasons that would potentially effect all unAID users. Nice one

For people like me who build a 9 drive trayless removable sata system, it's a nice board. Everything on board. Nice and simple.

My storage needs do not grow that fast. In fact I have 8 drives in mine, I'm about to grow to 9 drives.

With the way hard drives keep growing, I can now start swapping out 1tb drives for 2tb, sell off the 1tb's and come out with a decent cost factor.

Archived