Help me design a 20 drive 'recommended build'

Rajahal

Let me add, the reason I want/need a separate ripper.

I do allot of DVD ripping with anydvd and also EAC.

<snip>

So I'm back to considering a special purpose itx machine just for rips.

Lol, yeah, same here. I'm still in the process of ripping all my DVD's (got hundreds I'm supposed to do) and I'm slowly building a Blu-ray collection. Only reason I haven't had much progress is due to time constraints and manual labor involved. My initial plan was to build something like the following:

Centurion 590

mobo w/at least 6x SATA

low power dual-core

5-in-3 hotswap

Ciprico RAIDCore (RAID-5)

1x Blu-ray

5x DVD

Let me add, the reason I want/need a separate ripper.

I do allot of DVD ripping with anydvd and also EAC.

<snip>

So I'm back to considering a special purpose itx machine just for rips.

Lol, yeah, same here. I'm still in the process of ripping all my DVD's (got hundreds I'm supposed to do) and I'm slowly building a Blu-ray collection. Only reason I haven't had much progress is due to time constraints and manual labor involved. My initial plan was to build something like the following:

Centurion 590

mobo w/at least 6x SATA

low power dual-core

5-in-3 hotswap

Ciprico RAIDCore (RAID-5)

1x Blu-ray

5x DVD

That's not a small machine there.  How do you plan on doing this with the multiple DVD drives.

I don't think I'm going to build a ripper that large. I get a few rental DVD's a week.

It's enough to keep one drive busy a few hours a week.

My audio collection is another story, But it's not the rip of the audio that takes time.

It's the scanning of artwork and attaching it to the flac/mp3's.

So a dedicated machine with 4GB of ram, 4GB SATA ram drive,  and RAID0 scratch  and RAID1 temporary storage after update is needed.

Actually my core duo 2.0 ghz (not even a core 2 duo) does dam well for this task. But I'm concerned for the wear & tear on the optical drive.

Archived