Add parity disk to an existing array

Hi,

Looking to build my first Unraid system, but need to transfer data over from a Drobo. To keep costs down, I was hoping to buy one new 6 TB drive and do the following steps

1) transfer all my data temporarily to that new 6 TB drive,

2) then use the existing drives from my drobo to make an array in the new Unraid box (largest drive is 3 TB)

3) Copy all the data over to the new array

4) Add the 6 TB drive in as the parity drive coupled with a 120gb SSD for cache

Is it possible to add the parity drive after I've created the array, and have data on it?I understand that I'd be running without redundancy for the time it takes to build the partiy drive.

Also, could I copy the data from the 6 TB drive to the array within the Unraid system disk to disk? Or will I have to have the 6 TB drive in another system and transfer over SMB to the new array?

Thank you

You can do what you are asking. 

Suggest you start out by preclearing the new 6T drive. Not that it needs to be cleared, but this is a good test. Not absolutely necessary, but I would definitely do it.

You would install the 6TB into the array, and install as disk1 (only disk in "array").

unRAID would allow you to format, which you should do.

You could then copy all of your data from the Drobo to the unRAID disk1.

You could then move your drobo disks over to the new array.

Stop array, installing as disks2-diskn. 

Then you could format the 3T (former Drobo) disks (you are now 100% dependent on the 6TB drive's data)

You can then copy 1/2 the files to disk2 and 1/2 to disk3 (or however you want to split them up).

When done, you can do a new config.

Assign the 6T drive to the parity slot, and the 3T drives to the disk1-diskn slots.

When you start the array it will build parity.

It is not the safest procedure. You might want to run md5 checksums on the disks on Drobo and compare to the 6T drive.

I might suggest by 2 8T drives (they can be had for $189 ea.). Install one as parity, one as data. Copy the Drobo files over. Keep the Drobo files as backup - at least until you get to know unRAID, burn in your server, and make sure all is working well. It is good to have backups, so I might suggest keeping it that way. But if the data is not critical or backed up elsewhere, you can move your Drobo drives into the unRAID server, where they can be precleared and added as empty drives. That would be my recommendation.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bjp999 said:

It is good to have backups, so I might suggest keeping it that way. But if the data is not critical or IS backed up elsewhere

Can't stress this enough. Even after you get everything working like you want it with parity, you still must have backups of anything you can't replace.