Where do you prefer to buy your hard drives from?

Killer_B

I was a bit curious, as I have been looking to make a storage system of my own, and I haven't been especially impressed with Newegg's methods for shipping as of late, if nothing more than the method/quality is very inconsistent over time.

I have liked ZipZoomfly's shipping method the best.

Where else does everybody else generally prefer to buy their storage from?

Well I use to get them from OWC but their Seagates only come with a 3 year warranty and are just bare drives. I stiil get smaller drives from them since they are harder to find but I've been watching for sales and getting them from Best Buy with the full 5 years and packaging for the same price or less and an easy 30 day return policy.

I haven't been especially impressed with Newegg's methods for shipping as of late, if nothing more than the method/quality is very inconsistent over time.

I still get mine from newegg unless there is a better deal.

I usually only buy one or two drives at a time. They ship from NJ to NY so I have not had much of an issue with drives and failure.

I would say, when buying more then one drive, the packing leaves a bit to be desired.

Still buy mostly from Newegg. Since the warehouse is fairly close, I guess my drives don't get jostled much.

Bought a couple of drives from Amazon, Dell and TigerDirect. Dell and TigerDirect actually have pretty good packaging. As for Amazon, I can't quite remember but I think they might be worse than Newegg.

Still buy mostly from Newegg. Since the warehouse is fairly close, I guess my drives don't get jostled much.

Bought a couple of drives from Amazon, Dell and TigerDirect. Dell and TigerDirect actually have pretty good packaging. As for Amazon, I can't quite remember but I think they might be worse than Newegg.

Amazon had problems with their "hassle-free" packaging, which generally was a cardboard form/sleeve with no extra padding around it, in which the drive has broken/fallen out of it in a lot of photos that I've seen.

Dell, evidently might work out better if one was getting a lot of drives at once, they might still use the fitted foam packaging that the OEM's use for shipping multiple drives at once...At least they did at one time, I haven't bought anything from them recently.

Newegg.  Sure, the packaging isn't great, but I have yet to receive a DOA drive from them (and I've bought at least 10+ drives from them over the years).  Plus their free shipping option (3-5 days) usually reaches me in 2-3 days.  One of the advantages of living near a distribution hub, I guess.

I just bought my first drive from Amazon ($85 for a 1.5 TB WD Green EARS), so we'll see how that goes.

Archived