New to unraid a few questions with VM's and other settings

SG872

I was reading though some of the documentation and noticed this (in regards to VM's): IMPORTANT: Do NOT store your active virtual machines on a share where the Use Cache setting is set to Yes. Doing so will cause your VMs to be moved to the array when the mover is invoked. (I had a VM dissapear cause I set this wrong) I currently have a 120GB NVMe MLC cache disk and a 250GB 850 EVO (with a 110GB disk for Server 2016)  I disabled the cache for the "domains" share, my question is what would be the best way to add my 4x 1TB WD Red's to the VM as disks and take advantage of the cache?  Can I create another share with the Cache On and add a disk to the VM specifically or is that ill advised?  Should I just use a SMB share and attach that to the VM? (Not the way I really want to do it though).

Is there any compatiblity issues either with using an Intel X520-DA1 or a Mellanox Connect 2EN SFP+  10Gb Ethernet adapters with the system (In terms of driver support)?  Is is possible and is it supported add that NIC to a VM for use only with that VM. (My plan to have all my bulk data traffic (SMB, iSCSI on a seperate VLAN).

Is there a reason why my isos and the system share are by default on the cache? (currently don't have that setup with parity)

If you have to rebuild from a failed drive do you need to stop the Array first?  Why are so many settings disabled until the array is stopped (even changing the hostname)

15 minutes ago, SG872 said:

Is there a reason why my isos and the system share are by default on the cache? (currently don't have that setup with parity)

Default system shares.  Created for convenience.  (and they are probably set to cache:prefer)  Nothing says they have to be exported over the network, so you only really see them under normal circumstances if you choose to.  ( I have the same complaint about Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, etc on windows)

If you have to rebuild from a failed drive do you need to stop the Array first?  

Yes

Why are so many settings disabled until the array is stopped (even changing the hostname)

PITA isn't it?  Wish there was a good answer I could come up with for it, as somethings (like the hostname) don't really make sense that you need to stop the array.

Archived