Never-resting WD Red 8tb

Hello!

My original setup: 2 SSDs in raid for cache and dockers, and 2x 3tb wd reds in the array, and 1x 3tb wd red as parity. All my drive (including the parity drive) spun down as expected when they weren't accessed.

This week, I got a new 8tb wd red. I successfully precleared it, unassaigned the old parity drive, and set the new 8tb as parity. I let unraid rebuild parity, which was done successfully.

My issue is that the wd red 8tb actually spins down, but always spins right back up. When unraid tells the drive to spin down after the inactivity delay, it spins down, but 5 seconds later it spins right back up. The unRAID webgui then still reports the drive as spun down, even if it isn't (i checked with smartctl -i -n standby /dev/sdXXX, and i even checked by putting my finger on the drive). When i give the command (via Putty hdparm -y or via unraid web ui), it's the same scenario: it spins down (again, checked with the finger), and about 5 seconds later, it spins right back up. I track the activity of my drives with telegraf/influxdb/grafana and nothing is being read or written to drive (it is the parity drive, and i have the mover scheduled once a day..).

After some research, i found the hdparm - B setting (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hdparm the drive's power management). By default, it was set to 164 which according to the doc does not permit the disk spin down. I tried setting hdparm -B 127 /dev/sdXXX, which should allow the drive to spin down (as well as hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdXXX which deactives advanced power management altogether), as well as hdparm -S 180 /dev/sdXXX (setting a delay of 15 minutes to the spindown), but it didn't help.

What i don't understand is that the wd red 3tb that was set as the parity drive, didn't do that (spinning back up). So i deduce that it doesn't have with unraid spinning it up, and that it must be related to the drive itself.

Anyone has had a similar experience? Or any idea as to what could cause my drive to spin back up?

Edited by Lynxphp
  • 10 months later...
On 6/3/2017 at 2:14 PM, Lynxphp said:

Hello!

My original setup: 2 SSDs in raid for cache and dockers, and 2x 3tb wd reds in the array, and 1x 3tb wd red as parity. All my drive (including the parity drive) spun down as expected when they weren't accessed.

This week, I got a new 8tb wd red. I successfully precleared it, unassaigned the old parity drive, and set the new 8tb as parity. I let unraid rebuild parity, which was done successfully.

My issue is that the wd red 8tb actually spins down, but always spins right back up. When unraid tells the drive to spin down after the inactivity delay, it spins down, but 5 seconds later it spins right back up. The unRAID webgui then still reports the drive as spun down, even if it isn't (i checked with smartctl -i -n standby /dev/sdXXX, and i even checked by putting my finger on the drive). When i give the command (via Putty hdparm -y or via unraid web ui), it's the same scenario: it spins down (again, checked with the finger), and about 5 seconds later, it spins right back up. I track the activity of my drives with telegraf/influxdb/grafana and nothing is being read or written to drive (it is the parity drive, and i have the mover scheduled once a day..).

After some research, i found the hdparm - B setting (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hdparm the drive's power management). By default, it was set to 164 which according to the doc does not permit the disk spin down. I tried setting hdparm -B 127 /dev/sdXXX, which should allow the drive to spin down (as well as hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdXXX which deactives advanced power management altogether), as well as hdparm -S 180 /dev/sdXXX (setting a delay of 15 minutes to the spindown), but it didn't help.

What i don't understand is that the wd red 3tb that was set as the parity drive, didn't do that (spinning back up). So i deduce that it doesn't have with unraid spinning it up, and that it must be related to the drive itself.

Anyone has had a similar experience? Or any idea as to what could cause my drive to spin back up?

Hey Lynxphp, I'm having the same trouble with two of my WD red drives (out of 8). Did you ever figure out how to remedy this?