[SOLVED] Replacing Unraid server with a new one, but re-using data drives

Hi all:

I have an existing unraid server (Server 1) and want to move to my newly built server (Server 2). I will shut down the original once completed.

I also want to upgrade my parity drive. 

From reviewing these forums, here's a MoP I've pieced together.

With Server 1:

1. Stop array
  2. Remove parity drive
  3. Insert 4TB parity drive, and restart array to build parity
  4. Once complete, take screenshot of drive name and assignments
  5. Shut down array, remove USB key

Then, with Server 2

6. Install 4TB parity drive from (Server 1)

7. Install all other drives (from server 1)

8. Insert USB Key (from server 1)

9. Start server

10. Assign drives to identical places in server 1 (referencing screenshot)

11. Start array

12. Finished.

My questions:

a) Will this work?  

b) Is this a low risk approach?  If not, how do I reduce the risk?  (Note: I don't have new drives to do a "copy" of files from one to the other. But if this is highly recommended, I could bite the bullet and go out and buy some)

thanks !

PS. Can't seem to find where to put my signature, but Server 1 is: 

Unraid 6.2.4
M/B: ASUSTeK Computer INC. - M4A78L-M
CPU: AMD Athlon™ II X2 270 @ 3400
HVM: Disabled
IOMMU: Disabled
Cache: 256 kB, 2048 kB
Memory: 2 GB

Edited by keyman33
added specs

I may be off base here but are you upgrading the size of your parity drive as well? I'm not clear why your removing the parity drive then inserting a fresh parity drive then building parity again?

As to moving hardware, the drive assignments refer to making sure you don't add your parity drive as a data drive. Ask far ask disk 1 being in slot 1 and disk 2 being in slot 2, unRAID doesn't care. I can take my 12 bay chassis and play musical bays with them and unRAID could care less.

If your simply updating your hardware in a new enclosure, just move your drives, pop in your thumb drive and let unRAID do what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, keyman33 said:
  •  
  • Shut down array, remove USB key

3 hours ago, keyman33 said:

8. Insert USB Key (from server 1)

9. Start server

Unless something corrupts the USB key config files, specifically super.dat, then that should be all you need to do. I would still record which serial number drive was assigned to which slot for safety, but as long as all the drives that were there when you shut the server down are there when you start it back up, you shouldn't need to do any reassignments, it should just work.

As @CyberSkulls said, it's unclear why you are messing with the parity drive, you can just move the drives as they are right now.

All this assumes that your drives are currently good and the new machine doesn't have any hardware faults. Typically its' a good idea to at least memtest a new system for a day or so, and make sure all the drive slots at least function properly before you trust your existing data drives to it.