unRAID server with S3 enabled keeps waking

Hallo everyone

I have a very strange and annoying problem.

I have setup my unRAID server to go to S3 sleep sometime after HDD spindown. This worked perfectly until know, all I had to do is sent a magic packet from my windows 7 PC to wake it up.

But now, i see a very strange behavior: my server goes to sleep and immediately wakes up. In order to locate the problem i have done the following:

1. sent the server to S3 then disconnected the ethernet cable: The server stays in S3

2. sent the server to S3 then disconnected the ethernet cable and shut down my pc. I then connected the cable and restarted the pc. I boot to my old windows xp: The server stays in S3

3. same as (2) but start my usual windows 7 64 installation:The server stays in S3 but a little before the logon screen appears, it wakes

I really dont have a clue where the problem is but it seems that somehow the ethernet adapter has started sending magic packets?

Any help is welcome

UPDATE

i found the problem but not a good solution. it's typical. i search for hours for the cause of the problem, then i post in the forum, next minute i stumble upon the problem.

The problem was that the Wake-on property of my server ethernet adapter was changed to pg instead of g. g is for waking on magic packets but p is for waking after any physical activity. i turned it off and it works ok.

the problem is that everytime the server restarts or wakes it goes back to pg. how can i force it everytime to go to p?

UPDATE 2

finally, everything solved

i found out that unmenu user script S3 Sleep was causing the problem. the last line

ethtool -s eth0 wol gp

forces wake on physical activity

just replace it with:

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

I have the command 'ethtool -s eth0 wol g' excluding the quotation marks in my 'go' script. I'm sure that once you execute it sets the ROM settings on your NIC, but I think this gets erased if you remove the power source from your power supply. If you have this on the go script at startup, in the instance your server doesn't get power for quite some time, it'll rerun it for you the next time your manually start your server.

I have the command 'ethtool -s eth0 wol g' excluding the quotation marks in my 'go' script. I'm sure that once you execute it sets the ROM settings on your NIC, but I think this gets erased if you remove the power source from your power supply. If you have this on the go script at startup, in the instance your server doesn't get power for quite some time, it'll rerun it for you the next time your manually start your server.

i have put the same command in my go script.

but, the unMenu S3 sleep user script was overriding it when ii ran it. when i changed the 'ethtool -s eth0 wol g' to 'ethtool -s eth0 wol g' everything was fixed

i have put the same command in my go script.

but, the unMenu S3 sleep user script was overriding it when I ran it. when i changed the 'ethtool -s eth0 wol g' to 'ethtool -s eth0 wol g' everything was fixed

I've updated the unMENU user-script.  

I know I did not write that line, as I do not use WOL, and my MB does not support S3 speep (or S3 sleep) ;).  the

"ethtool eth0 wol gp" command had to have been in one of the scripts posted as the s3 sleep script was developed that I just cut and pasted from...

Sorry for any hair loss.

Joe L.

I've updated the unMENU user-script.  

I know I did not write that line, as I do not use WOL, and my MB does not support S3 speep.  the

"ethtool eth0 wol gp" command had to have been in one of the scripts posted as the s3 sleep script was developed that I just cut and pasted from...

Sorry for any hair loss.

Joe L.

Joe, you are being so helpful that you needn't be sorry for anything

Anyways, i've got lots of hair...