Mellanox Connectx2 Issues

Just now, Hannibal said:

Are yours dual port cards or single? And idk if you checked the link i posted... But idk what the likely hood of me getting two junk cards would be...

single port, i tired to find more info on your card, seems to be only sold via that newegg link or one seller on amazon.  Wondering if these are white label cards or resold tooling to other ODMs:  https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/several-popular-models-10gbe-cnanic-hilda-hu

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Hmm... Not sure i read over that link... Would it be a bad idea if i just switched over to Intel SFP+ cards? or should i just pick up that lot of two mellanox cards and then the fiber cable and transceivers? 

Id pick up those cards i linked on amazon, intel cards would work they just cost a pretty penny.

Tim

Sorry for the bad quality but i had to take this picture with my phone... This happened when there was no twinax cable connected... you can see it in the error it lists mlx4 which is my mellanox card.... Or i now notice it says usb disconnected im wondering if this is possibly being caused by my thumb drive unraid is installed on? or maybe it was referring to my keyboard since thats the only other usb device connected.... 

20170710_154913.jpg

Edited by Hannibal

The fact it points out nat, mlx4 and a bunch of networking functions points to a spinlock of some kind trying to access the hardware.  Seems that you are not the only one having issues:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Mellanox+6801-M+crashing&oq=Mellanox+6801-M+crashing&aqs=chrome..69i57.6512j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=mellanox+6801-m+cable+unplugged

Id return those cards and buy the used ones from amazon or intel cards.  I get the feeling those might be shitty knock offs or they are cheaply manufactured cards with mellanox chipset thrown on.  either way shit seems pretty broke, last ditch id still recommend ubuntu live boot and see if the problem carries over.

Tim

Alright, I'm more then likely gonna order different cards as well... When I contacted the seller for refund they're English when typing was extremely broken so I think those cards came straight from China or something... I'll either go with those ones you linked or I found Intel ones for 125 a pop not sure if I wanna pay that much per card though... I just want these issues gone and my 10gb connection to work without issue... Just out of curiosity if I just got a 4 port gigabit nic and set it up for link aggregation would they're be any benefit or is 10gb nic the only way to go for large file dumps to the server? 

Edited by Hannibal
1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Alright, I'm more then likely gonna order different cards as well... When I contacted the seller for refund they're English when typing was extremely broken so I think those cards came straight from China or something... I'll either go with those ones you linked or I found Intel ones for 125 a pop not sure if I wanna pay that much per card though... I just want these issues gone and my 10gb connection to work without issue... Just out of curiosity if I just got a 4 port gigabit nic and set it up for link aggregation would they're be any benefit or is 10gb nic the only way to go for large file dumps to the server? 

LAG is the shittiest thing ever, TCP cannot be stripped over multiple lines unless your doing round robin and if you have a out of order packet your shit is toast, RR isnt LACP compliant.

TLDR, LAG is total shit for two node communication.    You can do some stuff with multiple IPs and sharding of connections but for $40 is not worth it!

Tim

4 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

when i turn my unraid server back on after removing the card should i let the parity check go through or is it ok to cancel it since it literally just completed one less than like 6 hours ago due to that call trace issue ive been having... 

So I would let it run NON CORRECTING parity check, I was having issues with my unraid server a few months ago, same issues with freezing etc, turns out let a correcting parity check run and it fucked up a ton of files, 1200 "errors" it found.  blake2 confirmed unraid corrupted the files.  Not sure why unraid had a bug up its ass but i avoided 6.4+ since then.

Tim

oh... well... every parity check that has ran lately due to the call traces i was having im more then sure were correcting parity checks but yet its never found any errors... but ok i will let it run... just will have to go without plex for a little whilte... since the parity check stops the shares from being accessible... Also i moved over to ubuntu 16.04 from windows 10 runs so much smoother than windows ever did.... 

Edited by Hannibal
1 minute ago, Hannibal said:

oh... well... every parity check that has ran lately due to the errors i was having im more then sure were correcting parity checks but yet its never found any errors... but ok i will let it run... just will have to go without plex for a little whilte... since the parity check stops the shares from being accessible... Also i moved over to ubuntu 16.04 from windows 10 runs so much smoother than windows ever did.... 

The shares should be visible during a parity check....

5 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

yeah they're deff not give me a few mins and i will post a screen shot of what it says during a parity check... or is this because the parity checks i was running were correcting parity checks?

shouldn't make a difference either way.

• 2 weeks later...