Will throw a tantrum shortly ... USB drive being set to Read-only ...

I'm close to hitting the machine any time now - please somebody help me!

/dev/sdf1 (usb-Lexar_JD_FireFly) is set to Read-Only. I found some solutions on the forum, some of them work, hardly anything I can reproduce. Also it only works for a short while - maybe seconds only (like the user script "set samba file permission" - strangely enough the script doesn't show up all the time - unmenu restart sometimes needed). Right now I'm stuck.

And I'm getting all kinds of problems - trying to fix them seems impossible if I don't have write-permission on the flash-drive  :'(

---> My Syslog: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1163588/syslog-2010-04-20_00-00.html <---

Similar threads:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2835.0 & http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5951.0

The only way I can edit files is in unmenu (config_view_edit) - but this also only for a short while. After some time I get this error on the screen when trying to edit a file:

e

</BODY></HTML>

I then have to kill unmenu - restart it in order to be able to edit files - for a while!!!  ???

I'm close to hitting the machine any time now - please somebody help me!

/dev/sdf1 (usb-Lexar_JD_FireFly) is set to Read-Only. I found some solutions on the forum, some of them work, hardly anything I can reproduce. Also it only works for a short while - maybe seconds only (like the user script "set samba file permission" - strangely enough it doesn't show up all the time - unmenu restart sometimes needed). Right now I'm stuck.

And I'm getting all kinds of problems - trying to fix them seems impossible if I don't have write-permission on the flash-drive  :'(

---> My Syslog: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1163588/syslog-2010-04-20_00-00.html <---

Similar threads:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2835.0 & http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5951.0

The only way I can edit files is in unmenu (config_view_edit) - but this also only for a short while. After some time I get this error on the screen when trying to edit a file:

e

</BODY></HTML>

I then have to kill unmenu - restart it in order to be able to edit files - for a while!!!  ???

For the flash drive to be mounted as readonly, it must have had some corruption detected in its file-system.

It might be true corruption, or it might be you have bad RAM which is making things fail. 

Step 1.  Perform a memory test.  ( see you posted a syslog. I'll look at it in a few minutes )

Step 2.  Use scandisk or chkdisk on your PC to check and fix the flash drive.

Joe L.

You do have errors in your log..  Something wrong with your drive

Apr 20 00:02:40 Tower kernel: FAT: Filesystem error (dev sdf1)

Apr 20 00:02:40 Tower kernel: fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)

Save your stuff and then try reformatting/fresh install

You do have errors in your log..  Something wrong with your drive

Apr 20 00:02:40 Tower kernel: FAT: Filesystem error (dev sdf1)

Apr 20 00:02:40 Tower kernel: fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)

Save your stuff and then try reformatting/fresh install

Yes, you can unplug the flash drive while it is running.

The errors could easily be caused by bad ram (and you'll find no corruption on the flash drive itself) or, you find both.  Bad RAM and corruption.

Not sure what you'll find, but these errors were in your log.

Apr 20 00:02:07 Tower kernel: FAT: Filesystem error (dev sdf1)

Apr 20 00:02:07 Tower kernel: fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)

Apr 20 00:02:07 Tower kernel: File system has been set read-only

update

memtest for 5 hours - no errors

Error-checking (windows) and running disk utility (Mac) didn't show me any errors but one or the other might have fixed things

Things are working now again. Must have been a corrupt file system on the usb. But why did it get corrupt?

If it happens again I might sell usb-stick and mother board.

(usb Lexar JD FireFly & Supermicro C2SEA)

I had sudden reboots in the past - looking into the forum the psu gets the blame mostly - could it be the usb-drive as well?

Anyway I can now get into fixing and installing other things - S3 Sleep and WOL are in the works ... (I'm on a mac).

Thanks Joe L / purko and everybody for pointing me into the right direction - if I choose to format the flash-drive - I might ask you guys what files I need to backup/keep (apart from *_local) so I don't have to set up everything from scratch ...

ok (or not ok), problem is back  :-\ ... after one successful test of putting the system to sleep using s2ram -f -p

yesterday when the problem occurred the first time I used the user-script "Go to S3 Sleep" in unmenu (but after waking the system the monitor stayed black).

what do I do now? I really want to use Sleep and WOL.

oops - now that I take a closer look at the file system: unmenu and packages is missing, drives are missing, things really got shook up this time

geee - and look at my syslog: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1163588/syslogs/syslog-2010-04-20_23-45.html

maybe -f -p is poisonous - do I need different commands?

sd 6:0:0:0: [sdf] Media Changed

FAT: Directory bread(block 2613928) failed

ok (or not ok), problem is back   :-\ ... after one successful test of putting the system to sleep using s2ram -f -p

yesterday when the problem occurred the first time I used the user-script "Go to S3 Sleep" in unmenu (but after waking the system the monitor stayed black).

what do I do now? I really want to use Sleep and WOL.

oops - now that I take a closer look at the file system: unmenu and packages is missing, drives are missing, things really got shook up this time

geee - and look at my syslog: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1163588/syslogs/syslog-2010-04-20_23-45.html

maybe -f -p is poisonous - do I need different commands?

sd 6:0:0:0: [sdf] Media Changed

FAT: Directory bread(block 2613928) failed

Your BIOS does not wake up the USB drive properly.  You should look for an option in the BIOS to keep the USB port powered when sleeping, otherwise when it the server wakes, the USB drive can not be accessed.

Just because your MB supports S3 Sleep it does not mean it is not a buggy implementation.

any recommendations on a mobo that supports s3 without bugs?

got the supermicro C2SEA - even onboard usb - since lime-tech uses it I thought I couldn't go wrong.

so I am seriously considering ...

new mobo, maybe even new flash-drive ...

any recommendations on a mobo that supports s3 without bugs?

got the supermicro C2SEA - even onboard usb - since lime-tech uses it I thought I couldn't go wrong.

so I am seriously considering ...

new mobo, maybe even new flash-drive ...

He does not say it supports S3 anywhere... never has.

I would expect the C2SEA to be a good board, with full support for S3 (don't have one myself).  Make sure you have the latest BIOS for it.

Then I'll take a look if there's a new bios tomorrow - am going to bed now (europe).

Hope it won't be too tricky (I'm on a mac) doing this on a virtual win-machine ...

Edit: I just realized that I can wake the system after a power down - doesn't have to be S3 sleep - I think I could live with that.

Archived