Unraid will not boot

Hi All,

I'm not sure at all what happened. My system has been working and stable for a number of months. This issue has come out of left field.  I had recently updated the UnRAID to the latest version.  (OS 6.2.4?) but I do not believe that it has anything to do with the update. It may have been a power outage or something very strange.

The problem (and yes, I know I should have gotten the logs before the reboot, but at that time I didn't know there was a problem.)  is that the system will not boot.  It gets to the point of "---[ end trace 7dd3f0b09101348a ]---" and then stops. The keyboard has flashing LEDs flashing on the keyboard for the Caps Lock and the Scroll lock.  

It just stops.  My disk configuration and everything was stable prior to the issue.

What's my next step to recover the system.

Thanks.

Well, I guess in my haste, I forgot to put a question mark at the end of the sentence.

So, here is what I'm thinking I should do.

#1 pull the USB stick, put it in my Windows 7 PC and copy all of the files from it.

#2 Run check / scan disk to see if anything is corrupted?

#3 If it's not recoverable, re-install Unraid on it?

Is it just the config file that I need to retain or are there other files that after I do the reinstall, that I will want to copy back over to the USB?

Thanks.

Thanks bjp.

Another question and if the answer is yes, I'll either look for how to do it or post another topic.

Is there a plugin or something out there that would allow us to have two USB drives in the computer, one that normally boots the server and then one that operates as a backup where periodically (once a week, every other day, etc) the entirety of the main USB is dumped to the other drive?  That way if a corrupt USB drive is the issue, it would be a fast recovery....  I also suppose that since the system runs entirely out of ram after boot up, a person could just pull the USB drive and make a copy of it.   The problem with that is that when the system is running fine, you may or may not remember all of the time...

Threre is a USB backup plugin that @Squid put together that maintains a usb backup, but not to another usb device - but to a folder on the server. I don't use it, but you can check into it.

The danger of a backup is one file called super.dat. It contains the current unRaid slot to drive mappings. If an old backup is used, and the settings had changed, starting the array could cause data loss. Think about upsizng parity and moving the old parity to be a data disk, and then rebooting to a time that the old parity was parity. This is dangerous. Squid renames the super.dat file to put an extra safeguard in the restore process, which I applaud. 

Note that a failured or broken USB is not the end of the world. It is pretty easy to rebuild one from scratch. But certainly having a backup, or even a screenshot of the drive mappings, helps.

1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

Threre is a USB backup plugin that @Squid put together that maintains a usb backup, but not to another usb device - but to a folder on the server. I don't use it, but you can check into it.

It'll actually go to any mount point.  Which means you can send it to another flash mounted via UD or a seaparate computer or even the cloud with appropriate other plugins

That's cool. Thanks for writing that @Squid. So if I interpreted that correctly, I could set it to save a backup on my Win 7 machine periodically? Any location I want?  Is that configurable in your program or would I first send it to a mount point in the array and then us something else to copy that to the Win 7 machine?

28 minutes ago, M3rl3n said:

That's cool. Thanks for writing that @Squid. So if I interpreted that correctly, I could set it to save a backup on my Win 7 machine periodically? Any location I want?  Is that configurable in your program or would I first send it to a mount point in the array and then us something else to copy that to the Win 7 machine?

You would mount a SMB share from the Windows box using the Unassigned Devices plugin on unRaid and save it there.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the revive of an old thread.

I am running into the same issue at the moment.

Dockers would not update, and i could not get the system to update either as i was a few revisions behind

Reboot the server, and i get stuck at the same spot in boot up.

I am curious if i pull the stick, save off the config file, and then load unraid.  Will i have to rebuild all my dockers?  Or will they come up just as they used to?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 7:25 PM, InfInIty said:

Dockers would not update, and i could not get the system to update either as i was a few revisions behind

I am curious if i pull the stick, save off the config file, and then load unraid.  Will i have to rebuild all my dockers?  Or will they come up just as they used to?

this just happened to me also, what solution did you use?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 7:25 PM, InfInIty said:

I'm also running into this issue. This is my initial setup. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

I am, it's a USB2 port with a USB2 flash drive. I have a Gigabyte M97M-D3H motherboard, i3-4150, 16GB ram, 6 3TB WD Red. This was originally a FreeNAS server that I am converting over to UnRaid. I have reloaded the drive mulitple times and have used 3 new 32GB SanDisk drives and getting the same error on all 3.

Edited by Crowmando
2 hours ago, Crowmando said:

getting the same error

You didn't say specifically what that same error was. That is the problem with using old threads that seem similar to your problem instead of explaining your problems in detail in your own thread. There are probably hundreds of threads on this forum with flash drive problems. Now there are 3 of you tagged onto this old thread without any real details or replies.

Does it boot at all? What happens after booting?