ROOT won't let me login to my shared files and folders

Renderz

Hi, I hope someone can help

Windows won't let me login into TOWER with my ROOT login, even though I can use the ROOT login to access the web gui.

Because it won't allow me to login as ROOT, I am forced to login using another account I created, however that user restricts me to read files/folders only. I simply cannot delete, copy TO or rename anything. 

PLEASE HELP!!

18 minutes ago, Squid said:

Unassigned Devices has its smb settings that you can configure.  Its in the settings tab

Dammit, I really thought you had solved it for me then :-)

Sadly, that didn't work. I've attached a screengrab that may give you a clue, but I personally don't know what it means. THAT is why I've been trying to login as ROOT to the share.

Capture.PNG.fa119c525aa17a3aa1bdab5039106a64.PNG

Edited by Renderz
14 minutes ago, Renderz said:

Dammit, I really thought you had solved it for me then :-)

Sadly, that didn't work. I've attached a screengrab that may give you a clue, but I personally don't know what it means. THAT is why I've been trying to login as ROOT to the share.

Capture.PNG.fa119c525aa17a3aa1bdab5039106a64.PNG

Not the Windows Security Settings. In the Settings for Unassigned Devices.

Forget about Windows Security settings. 

You should probably read through this thread.  The link is to a post by LimeTech which shows why SMB can be such a bear to get working properly.  

Reading through the rest of the thread may give you some insight into how to solve your problem.  Unfortunately, you often have to reboot everything that is involved in your SMB system to test out a different approach because some prior action may prevent the solution from working...

• 5 years later...
On 9/12/2017 at 2:11 PM, Squid said:

Assuming that you want to use "root" to access files / folders over the network.  That is strictly not allowed.  The root user is only for SSH / WebUI logins.

Create another user that has full access to all the shares and use it to login to the shares to manipulate them.

How can you write/delete files with root level permission then?

Another tool is Midnight commander which built into Unraid and is accessible from the GUI Terminal---  the    >_    icon on the GUI toolbar.  Midnight Commander (mc) is a dual pane editor and runs with root privileges.  To use it, just type  mc   at the command line prompt.  Using it, you can manipulate any file/directory in the entire Unraid file structure.    IF you need instructions in its use, Google   linux mc tutorial