Eagle Tech ET-RM5101-W 5U Rackmount case - $27.99

Joe L.

I was making an order from geeks.com and noticed this rack mount case.  It is set up for 10 disks, (actually 11), and has 4 fans included. ( 2 80mm and 2 60mm )

I'm not overpaying, since my total order (including the case) was just over $100 and my entire order qualified for free shipping from geeks.com.

If you can get it from geeks with free shipping, the 5U server chassis rack mount case is all of $27.99 and includes 4 ball-bearing fans.  I figure that the 4 fans are probably worth a few dollars each, the case is probably costing me between $10 and $20.   At that price-point I have no qualms about taking a dremil to it as needed.

You can find it on sale here...

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ET-RM5101-WH&cat=CAS

A good picture of it is here:

http://www.eagletechusa.com/images/products/Chassis/Rackmount/ET-RM5101-WH/5b.jpg

More good pictures on newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811117108

you can see more of it here from google's cache

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ON0dWz-iSrsJ:www.eagletechusa.com/Eagle_Tech_RM5101_WH_White_Steel_5U_Rackmount_Chassis_White/ET-RM5101-WH.htm+ET-RM5101-WH&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Other than it being as illustrated I have no idea if it will fit any standard motherboard, and I don't care... as I can drill a hole or two.  I will not have a lot invested in it, so it will not matter if it has to be gutted for the 4 ball bearing fans.   I know one thing for sure, at 37 pounds of weight, it can't be too flimsy.

There are varying descriptions of the fans... from 2 60mm and 2 120mm, to 4 80mm, to 2 80mm and 2 60mm.  Again, who knows what I'll get... but it is not a $300 case, it is a $30 case rack-mount, complete with a locking front and handles.

The google-cached eagletech page describes it as:

Dimensions (mm) 	19" x 9" x 22.5"
Material 	1.2mm Steel
Color 	Beige
MB Form Factor 	ATX/ Micro ATX 	Full Size ATX, Extended ATX 12"x13"
Power Supply (optional) 	Standred ATX power supply.
Drive Bays 	5.25" CD ROM 	10
               3.5" 	1
Weight 	37lbs
Expansion Slot 	7
Cooling Fan Equiped 	2* 6cm, 2x 12cm cooling Fan

I'll let you know in 5 or 6 days if it was worth $27.99. ;)

Joe L.

Nice find Joe.

What are you planning to use for HDD mounting in the 5.25" bays?  I've seen some nice 5.25" hotswapable mounts which look decent but requires 3 bays and would not make efficient use of the available bays  :(

Wow, that is cheap.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't pack some drive cages in there, so it could be taken up to 14 drives with two 5-in-3 cages or four 3-in-2 cages.

Those trayless 5in3's would go nicely in there!!! hint hint.

I think you are right.

The case just arrived about a half hour ago.  It is very sturdy.  The insides are huge, as expected, and build quality is high.  The front panel almost looks to be 1/8th inch thick.  It is higher in quality than almost any case I've purchased in the past, and certainly equal in quality to the coolermaster stacker I purchased from Lime-Technology about 4 1/2 years ago.

I'll take some pictures of the insides of the Eagle-Tech case later.  A bit of work with the dremill tool and the center mount for the 3.5inch drive can be cut away making room for 9 slots across the front.  Three 5-in-threes would work, as would a custom rack.  (I'll probably go that route, as it is easy and WAY less expensive. )

Everything is attached by screws, so it looks easy to re-engineer.  In all, very well worth it if you can put together an order that qualifies for free shipping.  The only down-side ( for some ), is that is huge, deep, and at 36 lbs empty, heavy.  For me, it will be perfect as I have a shelf in a spare bedroom closet that will hold it nicely.

Joe L.

Three 5-in-3's will fit?  I only see room for two, unless you are doing some major modification.  Anyway, can't wait to see your pics, and the server you eventually build out of it!  I ended up going a different direction with my 5-in-3's (I plan to build two miniBoxes out of them and sell off at least one of them, probably both).

Three 5-in-3's will fit?  I only see room for two, unless you are doing some major modification.  Anyway, can't wait to see your pics, and the server you eventually build out of it!  I ended up going a different direction with my 5-in-3's (I plan to build two miniBoxes out of them and sell off at least one of them, probably both).

Just two small cuts, in the center at the top and bottom of the spot for the "floppy" disk, and three 5x3 racks would fit if I measured right. I would just have to re-locate the power switch.  That is easy since the front panel actually has two "reset" switches.

Joe L.

new-server-5x3-mock-up.JPG.a2d53740c9ac21beced92a177f72b407.JPG

Archived