HELP! /var/log is getting full (currently 100 % used)

rwickra

I'm beginning to start  having problems with my server. It's been a faithful ally and has served me well, but I'm beginning to notice SMART errors in Disk 1 and Cache. I didn't think I need to replace them right away until suddenly something went wrong.

All of my Dockers (which are located on my Cache drive) acted up and shut down on me (when I try to restart them I get the docker.img full error). I could not get them to start on the console. Then after a few days, I cannot even access my shares. When I SSH into the box, and try to browse the shares, I get an input/output error.

So I stopped the array, took the cache drive out of the system and restarted. So far things look OK.  When I look at "fix common problems" -- I have this error stating that /var/log is getting full. However, the array was restarted just 3 days ago.

I'm now trying to troubleshoot whether I need to replace my data drives or whether the problem is in my cache drive completely or whether it is in the USB drive running the OS (which is also a few years old). I've attached my diagnostics here. Can someone please take a look and let me know where they think my problem is. I would be ever so grateful.

araliya-diagnostics-20171118-0829.zip

It looks as though you have problems with your docker.img file.     The log is being filled up with errors relating to this (the loop0 device).    You probably need to delete the file and recreate it a new one.

if you are getting errors about the docker.img file getting full, then it almost certainly men’s that you have a docker mis-configured so that is writing into the image file rather than having write locations mapped to an external location.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

It looks as though you have problems with your docker.img file.     The log is being filled up with errors relating to this (the loop0 device).    You probably need to delete the file and recreate it a new one.

if you are getting errors about the docker.img file getting full, then it almost certainly men’s that you have a docker mis-configured so that is writing into the image file rather than having write locations mapped to an external location.

Thanks itimpi, but if the docker was misconfigured, it should not affect the ability for me to access the array right? Unless the docker is locking up the array.

By the way, I used the common instructions here to configure the docker. I placed the .img file in the cache drive, which in hindsight I wonder was a mistake? So where do you guys recommend that the docker.img file be placed? I've placed that file in the cache and I think I had the application data written into one of the protected shares in the array (/mnt/user/appdata). Is there a source here where I can get info on proper docker configuration?

It is normal to have the docker.img file on the cache.    However filling it up is very abnormal unless you have a very large number of dockers installed (or as I said a misconfigured one).    Having docker mount points mapped to the mnt/user/appdata location for docker configuration Information is normal and this Share is normally set to be ‘cache Prefer’ which means it ends up on the cache drive if you have one.

• 11 months later...

Archived