Poor docker performance

Hey guys I've been looking to improve my docker performance. At the minute my dockers are installed on my 250gb samsung evo ssd. Cache only. Recently I've been downloading more and more 4K Linux ISOs with my new gigabit connection. All good. But when I'm watching something in Emby when a file is either unraring or transferring from the cache drive to the array(in particular if its transferring to the drive I'm playing something from performance becomes spotty. The playback becomes laggy or on occasion will stop altogether and I wont get full performance until the file either unpacked or transferred fully to the array.

My question is this: If I install another cache drive and put both of them in a cache pool will performance improve? Or is there a way of adding another cache drive just for my dockers and have my downloads go the other cache drive? 

Any help with this would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

My specs are as follows:

Intel i3 6300

MSI Gaming H3 Motherboard

1 x 250GB Samsung EVO SSD

3 X 4TB WD Reds

2 X 6TB WD Reds

1 x 10TB Seagate Ironwolf(parity drive)

IBM ServeRAID M1015 in IT mode

16GB DDR3 Ram

Your biggest bandwidth consumer with downloads is the unraring.

Add another SSD via unassigned devices.  Store your downloads share (incompleted) on it.  Have Radarr / Sonarr move the completes directly to the array.

To add another SSD into a cache-pool and gain more bandwidth, you have to set up the pool as a RAID-1 (default is RAID-0) which isn't directly supported by unRaid.

• 2 weeks later...

@Squid I've taken your advice and Ive purchased a 500GB SSD for this purpose. However at the minute, a tv show downloads to the new drive, Sonarr sees it when finished, moves it and renames it along with metadata etc back to my cache drive before its moved to the array. Is there anyway I can eliminate the moving  to the cache drive and just have Sonarr move it to the array?

1 minute ago, MagicSG1 said:

@Squid I've taken your advice and Ive purchased a 500GB SSD for this purpose. However at the minute, a tv show downloads to the new drive, Sonarr sees it when finished, moves it and renames it along with metadata etc back to my cache drive before its moved to the array. Is there anyway I can eliminate the moving  to the cache drive and just have Sonarr move it to the array?

Set your Television share (ie: the destination) to be Use Cache: NO

Archived