(Solved) Cannot access SMB shares after upgrade from 6.1.9 to 6.3.5

chola-gringa

Hi everyone!

I hope someone with more networking expertise than me can help out. We recently upgraded our unRAID server from 6.1.9 to 6.3.5. Since the upgrade, our PCs no longer have access to the SMB shares. I've been going through the posts here, especially the ones related to Windows, but haven't been able to get SMB going again.

We have three dual boot PCs (Windows 7 Pro, Linux Mint 18.1). When running Linux, we can access the mounted shares just fine, but when we try to access smb://tower, we get the message "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out".

In Windows when I try to access \\TOWER\directory, the message is: "Windows cannot access \\TOWER\directory Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with the network..." When using the IP in Windows Explorer I am asked for my username and password, and then still don't have access.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Another problem we have since the upgrade that may or may not be related, is that although we have disabled the FTP Server through the Web GUI, in Linux we have complete access through sftp://tower. I do at least have to enter my username and password... but I would like to have this access disabled.

Any help getting this figured out would be much appreciated!

UPDATE:

I restarted our unRAID server in safe mode, and was able to access the smb shares from both Windows and Linux. Thinking that it might be a plugin issue, I removed all plugins and restarted. Still have the same problem. What does safe mode do other than start up without plugins?

SFTP is a protocol of its own and not related to FTP even though it provides some similar functionalities. It has been developed as a subsystem of SSH in order to have a platform independent alternative to SCP. Therefore it has to be disabled in the SSH config file. For a running server this is /etc/ssh/sshd_config, typically close to the end. Comment out the SFTP subsystem line. You will probably have to reload the SSH server after that in order for the new configuration to become active. If it works you then have to edit the same file on the flash in order to make the change persistent across reboots.

8 hours ago, tstor said:

SFTP is a protocol of its own and not related to FTP even though it provides some similar functionalities. It has been developed as a subsystem of SSH in order to have a platform independent alternative to SCP. Therefore it has to be disabled in the SSH config file. For a running server this is /etc/ssh/sshd_config, typically close to the end. Comment out the SFTP subsystem line. You will probably have to reload the SSH server after that in order for the new configuration to become active. If it works you then have to edit the same file on the flash in order to make the change persistent across reboots.

Thanks for the info about SFTP. I was not aware of the difference between it and FTP. I'll take a look at this tomorrow and let you know the outcome!

On 12/3/2017 at 1:15 PM, tstor said:

On 12/3/2017 at 9:26 PM, chola-gringa said:

Thanks for the info about SFTP. I was not aware of the difference between it and FTP. I'll take a look at this tomorrow and let you know the outcome!

Confirmed that I can disable the SFTP using this method. I edited the /boot/config/ssh/sshd_config file to comment out the SFTP subsystem line (I first had to copy it from the /etc/ssh directory). Rebooted and SFTP is disabled. Thanks!

Confirmed that I can disable the SFTP using this method. I edited the /boot/config/ssh/sshd_config file to comment out the SFTP subsystem line (I first had to copy it from the /etc/ssh directory). Rebooted and SFTP is disabled. Thanks!

You’re welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

Archived