Cache drive toggling between full and 160GB free?

Hi - is there a known phenomenon where a cache drive might report being full one minute and 160GB free the next?  Specifically when writing a lot of small files?

I have been restoring my appdata folder, which contains a lot of small Plex files (about 1,000,000).  My appdata folder totals about 20GB.

I was initially trying to do this manually from a Windows box (since it was only the Plex docker I needed to repair), but copying the appdata files from there kept returning a "drive full" message every couple of minutes.  A few seconds later, plenty of space free.  In the end I restored from the CA backup plugin, which seemed to work, but generated a couple of the same errors.

I'm running the latest rc, have a Crucial 250GB SSD cache, and can look into diagnostics when I get back if it's not a schoolboy error.

I'm suspecting it's a known condition from a perfect storm of actions, since there's no way a drive can physically fill up and empty so quick.

Thanks - see attached.  I'm guessing that there's going to be a lot of docker errors due to no space, but we'll see.  Downloaded via mobile connected over VPN, so I hope it's OK.

I was thinking of switching to XFS after doing a bit of reading.

Recently changed to a Supermicro 846 chassis with expander backplane, but the cache is still in the same SATA port on the mobo.

unraid1-diagnostics-20171207-0942.zip

Edited by Cessquill
Removed diagnostics file for safety

This happened before on array disks, first time I've seen it on the cache disk, but this should fix it:

Copy a large file locally from a disk to cache, e.g., use midnight commander (mc) and a copy a large (5GB or so) file from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/cache, after that check but the GUI should start displaying both the correct size and free space.

Thank you - I'll try that.  MC is currently busy copying stuff off there.  Once it's done I'll go the other way.

I'm suspecting it's because of lots of very small files (copying Plex appdata).  I did try clicking on the cache drive's balance button, but nothing seemed to happen - going to read up on it later.

Is this likely to be a condition of BTRFS?  I'm quite happy to switch to XFS if it's preferred for a single cache.

That issue is not balance related, it's juts space being incorrectly reported, and it will only affect Samba transfers, i.e. locally you'll have no issues, the problem comes from here:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1       233G   71G     0 100% /mnt/cache

As you see the total size is correctly reported here, but not the free size, btrfs has some quirks including free space reporting sometimes, if you don't plan to use a pool and don't care for snapshots and/or checksums might as well use xfs.

Starting to make sense now, thank you.

It initially worked, and the drive reported the correct size again.  A few minutes later it broke again.  Then fine, then broke, then fine again and finally broke.  All within the space of about 10 minutes.

I started in maintenance mode, and running a check found a few issues which I repaired.

I'm now in the position where I'm trying to delete something from the cache drive in order to free up space to copy a file back onto it.  MC gives me the message...

Cannot delete file "...test file..." No space left on device (28)

I get the same when I try and overwrite the file on that drive.

Heading home shortly, so I'll be able to connect to it properly.

I can recreate the docker img file (well, I can when it'll let me).

Unfortunately I can't copy to or delete from the cache drive, and I think that's also preventing me from ditching the img file.  Also, if I go to the docker tab, I get 

Warning: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to unix:///var/run/docker.sock (Connection refused) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 672
Couldn't create socket: [111] Connection refused
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 852

Warning: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to unix:///var/run/docker.sock (Connection refused) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 672
Couldn't create socket: [111] Connection refused
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 852

(which I assume is related)

Thanks for your time - I'd done quite a bit of reading and had a few ideas, but ultimately yes - it's much easier to wipe and start again.  I'm guessing something to do with metadata and the fact that a lot of small files had been copied on there (but that's about where my knowledge drops off).

Stopped array, changed file system, started array, formatted cache, restored appdata and copied other files back onto the drive.

All started back straight away - even the docker.img file was fine once there was space.  When I get some time over the weekend, I'll clear the img file and reinstall, but it's sorted for now.

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

All started back straight away - even the docker.img file was fine once there was space.  When I get some time over the weekend, I'll clear the img file and reinstall, but it's sorted for now.

No reason to fix what isn't broken. BTRFS with copy-on-write means any existing file you try to modify will fail the writes if BTRFS doesn't have space to create new instances of the changed data blocks. So even a perfectly fine docker.img is expected to fail if BTRFS is full - while modifications to existing files will succeed if using a file system that doesn't use CoW.

• Upvote 1