Windows SMB Configuration Puzzle - Windows 10 Fall Updates?

I have a windows 10 Pro PC and a Windows 10 Pro PC w/Fall Creator Updates (v1709 Build 16299.125.  I've set the SMB2 configuration successfully via the windows powershell.  I've rebooted and verified that the get-smbserverconfiguration enableSMB2protocol is TRUE and the enableSMB1protocol is false.  Yet, I can't access the server from this PC.  The other PC (does not have FALL Updates) works fine.  Is there a problem with the Fall Updates?

I've also added the server's IP to the hosts file, but no love.

What am I missing?

I assume that you have seen this one and applied it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

EDIT:  I would also assume that you are running the latest version of unRAID.  The Linux SMB group often updates Samba to account for these changes that MS makes to SMB.  (Apparently, MS is actually the 'controlling' body as far as SMB goes but often makes changes to it without telling anyone until it is released.) 

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

I assume that you have seen this one and applied it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

EDIT:  I would also assume that you are running the latest version of unRAID.  The Linux SMB group often updates Samba to account for these changes that MS makes to SMB.  (Apparently, MS is actually the 'controlling' body as far as SMB goes but often makes changes to it without telling anyone until it is released.) 

I saw the article regarding turning SMB1 off and SMB2 on and did that in the windows power shell.  Did not see this article.  At the bottom of the article it discusses a resolution by enabling insecure guest logons.  It took a while, but I finally found GPEDIT.MSC which is the local group policy editor.  Then I was able to disable "Enable insecure guest logons".  Unfortunately enabling "Enable insecure guest logons" and rebooting did not work.  Is there a checklist of all the things that need to be in place for SMB to work?  So far I have:

1. Turn off SMB1

2. Turn on SMB2

3. Enable insecure guest logons

Are there any others I'm missing?

All I did was go into Programs and Features and then into Turn Windows features on or off and made sure that SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support was enabled. (It was not, I had to enable it.) I also added the entry in my hosts file for the server name and IP address. I have done nothing else and it seems to be working just fine now.

My shares are set to secure and using an Unraid user with the same name and password as my Windows 10 login.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Endy said:

All I did was go into Programs and Features and then into Turn Windows features on or off and made sure that SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support was enabled. (It was not, I had to enable it.) I also added the entry in my hosts file for the server name and IP address. I have done nothing else and it seems to be working just fine now.

My shares are set to secure and using an Unraid user with the same name and password as my Windows 10 login.

Well, you win the prize!!  I turned on SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing and it worked!  Thanks!  Now on to swapping out my parity drive...