CRON in Docker

How do i enable a crontab job in a docker ?

I need to have my spotweb docker refresh every hour.. I can give the command manually from console..

In a VM I can do this , I can also do it in unraid itself, setting it up in the GO file, but I am unsure how to do this in a docker and having it survive a reboot.

7 hours ago, Helmonder said:

I can give the command manually from console

7 hours ago, Helmonder said:

I can also do it in unraid itself, setting it up in the GO file

Probably the best option, or via user scripts.  Any changes (adding a cronjob) within the image will get lost if/when the container gets updated

Thanks... Have to do a bit more digging... In my spotweb container there is no CRON present.. So I would have to make a script executed via the GO as follows:

apt-get update
apt-get -y install cron

Then something that puts the following line in cron from commandline:

@hourly /usr/bin/php /var/www/spotweb/spotweb/retrieve.php

Then I would have to make sure that the docker is running when the GO file is executed.. Possibly work with a pause in there..

• 1 year later...

i have spotweb running in the "nginx" docker with the database on the "mariadb" docker. The "nginx" docker has cron buildin

Addad the following user script on unraid: Download "CA User Scripts" from CA. Go to Settings --> User Scripts --> ADD NEW SCRIPT. add a script name for example "update spotweb" click on the newly created user script named: update sportweb (blue text) and click "Edit Script" remove all text and paste this:

#!/bin/bash
docker exec -t nginx php /config/www/spotweb/retrieve.php > /dev/null

afbeelding.png.ac5bfae1ceb49b5cf7b0a47f8ac05ff2.png

/config/www/spotweb/retrieve.php is the path to the retrieve.php file from within the docker container.

Click SAVE CHANGES and set Schedule Disabled to Scheduled hourly

afbeelding.thumb.png.f05bc24ec88cb9daa1810011d53f1372.png

If you do this the script "update spotweb" (the cronjob) survives an update of the "nginx" docker.

Out of curiosity in what docker are you running spotweb ?

Edited by Dikkekop
  • 3 weeks later...