WD 10TB Gold Datacenter HD's?

I am building a new server for my friend who cannot as he is disabled. We picked out all of the hardware and the motherboard won't even see these NEW 10tb drives when booting unRAIDServer-6.3.5-x86_64 , the Bio's wont even see these NEW drives.  I then switched sata ports on the MB and still nothing, I confirmed both (power/sata) cables are working by trying an old 2tb drive and it sees the old 2tb fine with both cables.

I cannot see both 10tb drives being bad out the box, What am i missing they just don't spin up?

MB Asrock Z270 Taichi

Ram 32gig gskill  DDR4

Thermaltake 750watt tough power with molex and sata connectors

Gforce 9400 vid card

DVD drive

2 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

Are there any BIOS updates available for the board, that would be first place to check.

I thought the same thing but leaving the MB out of the picture for a moment i tried a quick test with molex with a y adaptor  or the other sata power lag, i just plugged in power only and both drives dont spinup in hand where the 2tb will.  that eliminates the MB at the moment, and confirms the PS is supplying enough power for the old 2tb.

Does WD have some sort of protection - if the sata side is unhooked they wont spin up? 

1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

I know about a 3.3v problem that affects 8TB WD drives particularly if they are on a Y adapter however if the drives are spinning up when connected to a SATA power connector, they should be fine.

I saw that and that's why i tried the sata power y-adaptor off of molex, Going to install one of the drives in my unraid server and see if they are recognized.

12 minutes ago, pwm said:

The Molex connector does not contain any 3V3 - only 5V (red) and 12V (yellow). So splitting from Molex to 2xSATA you will not get any 3V3 (orange) to the SATA plug.

Confirmed both drives are DOA - will not show up in my server under assigned  - He did have another 10tb Gold with data on it and it reads just fine on my server and his new server with the Y-cable.  not sure where my friend got these (2)10tb drives but will have to get them replaced.

Edited by ajgoyt