New Unraid System - Double checking Specifications

whoop

Hi All,

Have finally decided to go ahead with a Unraid. Done some research of parts available  in Australia and compatibility with Unraid and this is what I have decided to buy. Can you let me know if any parts maybe a problem or any recommendations?.

Case - Fractal R2

Motherboard - Asus M4A785T-M

CPU - AM3 Sempron LE-140 or 255 - not sure

Memory - 2G-800 Kingston

Power supply - Corsair  VX550 - enough to power 12 drives?

USB drive - USB Pen 8G Kingston

Drives - 2 x 2TB Seagate LP and 2 x 2TB WD LP

I am hoping the above works,

Hi whop, welcome to unraid. I hope the link below provides some guidance in a 'aussie' edition of an unraid server:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5805.msg55929#msg55929

I use the system board, CPU and RAM and can vouch that their rock solid. Seagate's are very good (my server has nine Seagate 1.5 TB 7200 RPM disks), but Western Digital disks are (in my experiences) quieter, I'd stick with the same lot of HDD's, but that is my personal preference and by no means isn't a requirement, hence the flexibility of unraid.

Be careful though, if you're after speed, look for disks which are 7200 RPM not 5900 or 5400 RPM's are people can be mislead into thinking why HDD'sd are a little cheaper (Just a pointer).

For you're USB drive, if you don't plan to run heaps of addon's or server-releated features to the unraid stock build,even a 2GB drive will do, but seeing the prices of USB drives these days, it would be a cost concern factor.

Other than that, it seems fine. Finally, be mindful of the case for future expandability, who knows, you might want to have a 12 disk array one day!

Good luck and enjoy.

Archived