data migration help

JGKos

hey all

I'm currently running a 5 drive array (4tb, 4tb, 4th, 2th, 2tb), and need to replace/upgrade the 2tb drives to 4.  I have been reading around, but have not been able to find something that fits my scenario and limitations.

I do not have the ability to bring the new hd online, inline with the others, as i lack open sata ports.

I have very limited linux command skills to aid me in the migration of the data off these drives to the others, so i can deprecate it.

any thoughts on a possible direction for me to follow?

thx

The scenario you are talking about is sort of the whole point of unRAID. If you have a missing disk, unRAID can rebuild its data to a replacement disk.

Just replace one of the 2TB drives with a 4TB drive. unRAID will rebuild the data onto the larger disk using the parity calculation. Then do the same to upsize the other 2TB drive.

sounds like i totally over thought this process..

yes, I run a 4tb parity drive as well.

Would the process then be as follows?

shutdown array

remove 2tb drive

install 4tb drive

spin up array

allow data to be rebuilt

thanks again for the assist

When you reboot without the original, unRAID won't start the array until you assign the new disk. Then it will tell you that it is going to rebuild when you start the array.

Before you begin though, it is important that all drives are trustworthy, since parity plus all other drives are required for the parity calculation that allows the missing disk's data to be rebuilt.

What version unRAID are you on? If V6, do all the disks look good on the dashboard? No warning indicators?

i do not have the auto start array after reboot selected.  So I am good there.

i just ran a parity check, once thats confirmed good, I'll move forward

would you suggest the follow steps then?

-stop array

-remove 2tb drive

-install new 4tb drive

-assign new disk

-start array

thnaks

JK

Archived