Any idea of schedule when NFS will be available?

For the media machines I use Samba, for all my unix machines I use NFS.

Since I've migrated all home and data spindles to the unRAID server, I cannot use it without NFS.

NFS, as well as other features, didn't make it into -beta1 because I needed to "drive a stake in the ground" and get the release out.  The development is at a point where there are numerous issues to address and refine, but it's unclear to me what the priority should be, since the server functions exactly the way I need it to :)

Let's talk a bit about NFS... In all previous unRAID releases, the server was clearly oriented toward Windows networking via CIFS (Samba).  In particular all user authentication was done using facilities provided by Samba, and the linux permissions were not utilized, in fact, I explicitly tried to keep linux permissions out of the picture.  This was accomplished by the Samba "force root" parameter, and the fact that all files were accessed and owned by "root". 

This made sense for a purely Windows networking server. However this presents problems with other network services such as NFS and AFP.  NFS has something like "force root" by using the "root_squash" and "all_squash" options, but AFP has nothing of the sort.  This also presented problems with Active Directory support.

So... you say use NFS for share access by other unix machines... how do you get this to work with all files being owned by root on the server side?

More important question... have your read the Security overview section about NFS, and would that design work for your configuration?

Hi, Just a question regarding NFS, in my set up(4.5.6) i use NFS to share my "data", my media player works so much better with NFS ( TVIX 6500 stutter when using SAMBA on high bit rate BD)

In 5.0 is there being a option that you can  chose between NFS/SAMBA ? 

//Peter

Hi, Just a question regarding NFS, in my set up(4.5.6) i use NFS to share my "data", my media player works so much better with NFS ( TVIX 6500 stutter when using SAMBA on high bit rate BD)

//Peter

Yes.  Also plan to let you enable/disable any network service.  So you can disable samba entirely if you wanted.  (Though one component of samba, 'nmbd' provides NewBIOS over IP naming services, so probably would still have that running.)

So... you say use NFS for share access by other unix machines... how do you get this to work with all files being owned by root on the server side?

There are two methods I employ.

1. I put my own entries in /etc/exports.

/atlas *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=96)

/boot *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=97)

"/mnt/home"  *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=98)

"/mnt/cache"  *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=99)

#

My cache is on an areca raid1 volume so it is safe.

2. I use groups and setgid on directories where appropriate

rcotrone@hercules: /atlas/disk1 > cd /atlas/disk1/tmp

rcotrone@hercules: /atlas/disk1/tmp > touch unraid.file;ls -l unraid.file

-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 Jul 20 07:54 unraid.file

rcotrone@hercules: /atlas/disk1 >cd pub

rcotrone@hercules: /atlas/disk1/pub > ls -ld .

drwxr-sr-x 160 rcotrone ftp 4704 Jul 20 07:53 .

rcotrone@hercules: /atlas/disk1/pub > touch unraid.file; ls -l unraid.file

-rw-r----- 1 root ftp 0 Jul 20 07:53 unraid.file

More important question... have your read the Security overview section about NFS, and would that design work for your configuration?

I have read it I have to go through it again to fully understand it and the impact.

I have read it I have to go through it again to fully understand it and the impact.

After re-reading it and checking my own export modifications.

I see myself using private all the time.

Although I sort of see the permission scheme in the classes of

Public, Guest and Secure.

Public being world readable, writable.

Guest world readable, no write ability.

Secure accessible only by permissions.

That's just my thought pattern.

Are you using NFS with only disk shares?

Right now at this moment, Yes.

I have the user shares enabled, but I just never use them.

It spins up too many disks.

I think I did have to write a script to add my own custom NFS entries to the exports file.

"/mnt/disk1"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=1  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk10" -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=10  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk11" -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=11  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk12" -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=12  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk13" -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=13  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk14" -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=14  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk15" -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=15  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk2"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=2  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk3"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=3  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk4"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=4  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk5"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=5  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk7"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=7  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk8"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=8  *(rw) 
"/mnt/disk9"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=9  *(rw) 

My expectation is to have NFS use the unix permissions as it would in any other NAS.

I've never used NFS (or even samba) the way unRAID sets it up.

Here is my NFS startup script.

root@atlas ~ #more /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/S90-init.nfs
#!/bin/bash

if [ ${DEBUG:=0} -gt 0 ]
  then set -x -v
fi

P=${0##*/}              # basename of program
R=${0%%$P}              # dirname of program
P=${P%.*}               # strip off after last . character
O=${P%_*}               # Operand
D=${P#${O}_}            # Data (last param before _ character)

H=`hostname`
mkdir /${H}
mount -t tmpfs -o size=1m,mode=0775 tmpfs /${H}

[ ! -L /mnt/home ] && ( cd /mnt; ln -vs cache/.home home )

cat <<-EOF > /etc/exports-
/${H}      *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=96)
/boot      *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=97)
/mnt/home  *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=98)
/mnt/cache *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=99)
EOF

export fsid=1
for disk in /mnt/disk*
do  disk=${disk##*/}
   # echo mkdir ${disk}
   # echo mount -o bind /mnt/${disk} /${H}/${disk}
   [ ! -L /${H}/${disk} ] && ( cd /${H} ; ln -vs /mnt/${disk} ${disk} )
   did=${disk#disk*}
   # fsid=((fsid++))
   cat <<-EOF >> /etc/exports-
"/mnt/${disk}"  -async,no_subtree_check,anongid=0,anonuid=0,all_squash,fsid=${did}  *(rw) 
EOF
done

# /usr/sbin/exportfs -va
# /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd start

Ok, good info, thanks.  Why do you set 'fsid'?

I can't remember why.

LOL happens to me all the time.  Somewhere there's a comment in the unraid driver where I say something like, "Need to clear this, can't remember why"... many time's I've considered removing the line, since I don't see why it's needed, but I'm afraid to  :-\

Ok, good info, thanks.  Why do you set 'fsid'?

I can't remember why.

LOL happens to me all the time.  Somewhere there's a comment in the unraid driver where I say something like, "Need to clear this, can't remember why"... many time's I've considered removing the line, since I don't see why it's needed, but I'm afraid to  :-\

That's really funny!

• 1 month later...

//Peter

I'm using 5.0 beta 2 and my Popcorn Hour C200 just can't seem to connect over NFS like it used to with 4.5.6.  I removed and re-added the shares but it never finds them.  I can browse on the network and it fines my unRAID and then the shares are visible but no further.  How did you get on with your TVIX 6500 with the new beta?

Does anyone else have a PCH and unRAID 5.0b2 using NFS ?

• 3 weeks later...