We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

questions about permissions on media files

JustinChase

I use JRiver Media Center for managing all my media, which works great.  however, it seems to change permissions on files I manipulate from nobody users to something else (I think chris users, but I can't find a changed file right now).

Everything seems to work fine, but when I've been using unBALANCE to move some stuff around I keep getting these errors

• There are some permission issues with the folders/files you want to transfer
  • 29 file(s)/folder(s) with an owner other than 'nobody'
  • 0 file(s)/folder(s) with a group other than 'users'
  • 0 folder(s) with a permission other than 'drwxrwxrwx'
  • 0 files(s) with a permission other than '-rw-rw-rw-' or '-r--r--r--'
  • You can find more details about which files have issues in the log file (/boot/logs/unbalance.log)
  •  
  • At this point, you can transfer the folders/files if you want, but be advised that it can cause errors in the operation
  •  
  • You are STRONGLY suggested to install the Fix Common Problems plugin, then run the Docker Safe New Permissions command

So, my question is; how do I get JRiver to stop changing user from nobody to chris?  It seems other programs don't do this, and I thought someone here might have an answer faster than asking at the JRiver forums.

appreciate any help/guidance/thoughts

Just now, JustinChase said:

no, it doesn't really matter, everything seems to work fine, i just get warnings from unBALANCE, which makes me want to 'fix' the issue moving forward.

Maybe I'll ask that dev to ease up on the warnings :):)

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a touch of OCD.

Archived