upgrading my hardware

usurpator

Hiya everyone!

So after more than 4 years it's time for me to upgrade my hardware since I want to do more with my Unraid server than just download and stream movies to my kodi.

I thought about the following setup and I was wondering if it was ok that way?

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/KCK48Y

What I plan on doing:

•  the usual like sonarr, mylar, sabnzb, kodi, etc.
  • Windows 10 VM. Now, my purpose for the VM is not to game on it, I have a dedicated machine for that. What I want to do though is install OBS on the Windows VM, connect to it via NDI from my gaming PC and then stream for the VM to Twitch. This means the Unraid Windows 10 VM would have to do the heavy lifting of encoding whereas my gaming PC would only be used for gaming.

Would the setup above work for that? I picked an AMD over Intel since the encoding to twitch should be better with more cores. I've read about issues with Unraid and AMD though and am a but unsure. Also: Are the other parts ok?

Thanks in advance!

I don't like water cooling for a 24x7 server. If pump goes heat gets intense very quick. Consider noctua nh-15 or -15s for similar cooling but much quieter and less likely to fail. And if fan does fail, the heat will rise much slower.

6 hours ago, ashman70 said:

Parts look ok, love the case, own one myself. One thing you are going to want is fans for that case, I believe I put in at least four or five in to keep drives cool.

Can't speak to AMD issues as I don't have a Ryzen system running unRAID.

Thanks a lot and yes, the case looks great. :) Based on your feedback I will definitely look into a couple of fans for it.

4 hours ago, SSD said:

I don't like water cooling for a 24x7 server. If pump goes heat gets intense very quick. Consider noctua nh-15 or -15s for similar cooling but much quieter and less likely to fail. And if fan does fail, the heat will rise much slower.

Thanks for the feedback. I might not go with additional cooling at all, since I forgot that the Ryzen 1700 Waith Spire cooler is supposed to be really good. If I change my mind on that I will definitely look into the noctua nh-15 since my mind is not at all set on an aio. 

Archived