[6.4.0] Slow / Sluggish WebUI Interfaces Accessing Docker Containers Remotely

Debaser

Hi all, running unRAID 6.4.0 on a PowerEdge R710, currently still on the initial 30-day trial. I love the system and want to purchase it if I can get my docker containers running smoothly. The unRAID webui works fantastic both accessing locally and over the internet with a port forward. I have my DNS pointed to my domain and it works great.

As for the docker containers webui, like sonarr/radarr/nzbget/plex/grafana, they work flawlessly when i'm local. Nice and snappy. But when I try to access the webui for any of these containers remotely via my domain, i get very slow/sluggish experience.

I've had each of these tools installed on a virtualized ubuntu server i ran on esxi on this same r710, same network, and they worked great remotely. I have 75/75 pipe through Verizon Fios so I don't think it's network/bandwidth related. Also doesn't explain why the unRAID webui works great while the docker containers webui is poor.

I've tried a few different containers from different sources, like linuxserver, binhex, etc. Currently running binhex for most of them.

Any idea why I'm getting slow performance out of my docker containers strictly when accessing remotely?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also just want to add: Once in a while, the ui will be working great remotely for one of the containers, but eventually grows to be very sluggish. Also average CPU utilization on the host is between 0 and 3

So I made sure everything is running off my cache drive pool which consists of 2x800gb SSD drives so everything should be nice and snappy. Both docker containers as well as download paths. 

Still getting poor performance from webui for all docker containers via domain name rather than ip. 

Any idea? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 1:37 AM, Debaser said:

Still trying to get this sorted out. It seems that it might be a slow DNS resolve to point to the docker containers. Anyone know any settings I can tweak to maybe help speed it up? Been digging into this for a while now with no success

Perhaps you need to enable hairpinning on your router. This will ensure that public addresses get translated into a local address, that way containers keep accessing everything locally.

Archived