Import existing raid0 array as unassigned devices array?

tbonedude420

As the title says, i'd like to import an existing raid0 array via unassigned devices, or other means.

Is this possible?

Im in the process of starting, and adventuring with unraid, and I ordered 3 matching drives (they also match the 3 existing raid0 ones i have), and then realized I was going to use 1 for parity... leaving only 2 for space.. I currently have the space of 3... and mostly full..

My goal was to make the new array with unraid, and copy over my stuff, then format the drives, and add to my array, and finally do a parity. Does this seem dumb? Overcomplicated?

What other options do I have?

Hello -

What type of Raid0 array do you have, i.e. software or hardware, etc?  Does it live in it's own server/NAS independent of where you plan to install unRAID?

Copying over the data and adding parity as a final step is fine, though make sure your critical data is backed up somewhere before you start.

6 hours ago, tdallen said:

Hello -

What type of Raid0 array do you have, i.e. software or hardware, etc?  Does it live in it's own server/NAS independent of where you plan to install unRAID?

Copying over the data and adding parity as a final step is fine, though make sure your critical data is backed up somewhere before you start.

Thanks for the response.

The current array is software, made with windows (disk management). It currently lives in the same server, But I know I can easily move the array and import to another machine, had to do it once before when I had a stick of ram fail. 

If you can get the existing array up and running on one machine and unRAID on another, then you should be all set.  Just mount your unRAID shares from the Windows box and copy over the network via SMB.  Make sure your critical data is backed up somewhere before you start taking down the old array.  I’d recommend that you play with unRAID a bit before you start the data transfer, you may have questions that are better answered before moving all that data.

There are other options but that’s probably the easiest.

Im probably just going to import it as a foreign array on my computer. This is the easiest. 

As for backup... ehh.. im not worried. My important data is separate from this server, in a 4drive box with esata/usb3. single 320gb replicated across all 4. 

This is just media, and replaceable media at that. Granted.. it would suck to have to do it, It would also give me a chance to fix previous mistakes. 

I truly find the best way to learn, is to break it... at least when it comes to *nix. Ill get there eventually, for me its not a race, but a chance to learn and grow. 

8 hours ago, tbonedude420 said:

single 320gb replicated across all 4. 

That's not a very safe solution.

A single write being replicated over all four drives.

And a single PSU failure killing all four drives.

And a single fire can kill everything.

Try to store your data on multiple hosts on multiple locations.

And try to use versioning of the data so a file change doesn't overwrite the previous copy - you want to keep both old and new in case the new data is a spam-encrypted copy.

And the mechanism should include either offline storage, write-once media or an API that does require an evilish amount of work to gain write access to archived files.

12 hours ago, pwm said:

That's not a very safe solution.

A single write being replicated over all four drives.

And a single PSU failure killing all four drives.

And a single fire can kill everything.

Try to store your data on multiple hosts on multiple locations.

And try to use versioning of the data so a file change doesn't overwrite the previous copy - you want to keep both old and new in case the new data is a spam-encrypted copy.

And the mechanism should include either offline storage, write-once media or an API that does require an evilish amount of work to gain write access to archived files.

I beg to differ, but then again I don't know your previous experience that have lead you to this conclusion...

The 320gb array I speak of, is housed in an external "raid box", believe its made by Vantec. The drives are swapped fairly frequently, at least I have swapped almost every 6 months (I now have roughly 30 drives, all 320gb, all the same replicated data.

I very VERY rarely write any new data that I need to be saved, and when I do, I do it in batches. Mostly documents, some pictures, some videos. 

In case your wondering why 320gb? Well.. they were common to me. Between fixing ps3/xbox 360 and laptops, i've acquired quite a large mass of 320gb 2.5 inch drives. Again, I dont know your circumstances, but for me this has been quite reliable, and worst comes to worse, i've got several copies. I keep 2 in the bank in my safe deposit box, 2 I buried in shatter proof containers with silicon seals, and ive got random ones around the house and garage. 

(EDITING JOE:   Dont bury hard-drives.. Watched a youtube.. got the idea.. tried it.. I went back and revisited that same youtuber, who unburied about a year later, and the drives were completely trashed. )

As for the PSU, its easy to replace. Standard 12v 2amp barrel DC jack. As for a fire, again, multiple places. As for versions/revisions, I dont bother. If for some reason I edit.. lets say passwords.docx, I make a new file called passwords2.docx. I keep all originals, and new copies. 

Again, this is my solution, and it works for me.. Im not concluding everyone go out and do what Ive done.. probably not the 'best' idea.. but it works for me. 

Actual data size.. maybe 100gb. tops. I could easily burn a few BR's, or even high density flash drives. But since 2007 when I started this, now 2018... I feel I've done a good job, and not lost a single document/picture. 

I read the text

21 hours ago, tbonedude420 said:

in a 4drive box with esata/usb3. single 320gb replicated across all 4

it as if you had one device with four 320 GB disks in a 4-way mirror.

Which has the issue that a bad write will mirror to all 4 disks and overwrite the previously good data. And anything that can access that 4-pack can encrypt random files that will then be perfectly mirrored in their devastated form. And anything operation at the file-system level can kill 4 file systems in a single write.

If that's not the case then your backup solution might be more resilient to overwrites.

I normally use second-tier solutions where it is only possible to send files and the receiving end adds them as additional - versioned -  copies to the archive. So a ransomware application would at most require me to clean up wasted archival space.

2 minutes ago, pwm said:

I read the text

it as if you had one device with four 320 GB disks in a 4-way mirror.

Which has the issue that a bad write will mirror to all 4 disks and overwrite the previously good data. And anything that can access that 4-pack can encrypt random files that will then be perfectly mirrored in their devastated form. And anything operation at the file-system level can kill 4 file systems in a single write.

If that's not the case then your backup solution might be more resilient to overwrites.

I normally use second-tier solutions where it is only possible to send files and the receiving end adds them as additional - versioned -  copies to the archive. So a ransomware application would at most require me to clean up wasted archival space.

My apologies.. thats why editing Joe comes to the rescue, I tend to go back, re-think and collect my thoughts and present them in a more manageable view. 

Your not wrong, on any level, don't think that I think your wrong, 'cause your not..- Hell, I even agree this is not an ideal solution, but its a cheap (free) solution, and I try to keep up with monitoring S.M.A.R.T status. One thing I tend to watch is any drive over 15,000 hours. Instantly gets moved to the rear of the pile.. (yes.. all my drives are numbered lol...Bought a label maker.. never used it for anything else)

For reference, heres an amazon link ( https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-3-5-Inch-External-Enclosure-NST-640SU3-BK/dp/B007XJIYI6 )

I've had 3 of these now, First one died due to backplain solder joints being crap. Second one .. I dont quite remember.. something stupid, fan maybe? Now ive got a third one, and have used the others for parts periodically. Again, totally not an ideal solution,...- Trust me I hear ya. 

Look at client-server backup solutions. They normally let the client stream changed file data to the server without use of any file share. So no client virus can attack the server with the backups. There are several free backup software, and the server hardware can be very simple - if bandwidth isn't important then it's even possible to have an R-Pi that mirrors received data to two external USB drives.

Even possible to ask parents or children if it's ok to host such a little contraption to allow nightly backups off-site.

Archived