We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Drive Failure/Replacement

hotrodman106

My description is very vague, I should clarify. About a week ago I began building a new server to replace my aging server. During the transfer process, my power supply failed and shorted out the motors in two of my three hard drives. As such, I can't restart my Unraid array and I can't replace a drive to have my parity drive recreate it. I was going to have a data recovery service attempt a platter swap into a donor drive but, if they do that the serial numbers won't match. So, with that all being said, is there a way for me to swap in the donor drives after the fact?

I appologize for the initial shotty explanation, it's my first time on the forum.

5 minutes ago, hotrodman106 said:

it's my first time on the forum.

Which is why I thought you might not be familiar with the normal ways of working with disks in unRAID.

If you get the platters with their data back but the serial numbers are different, then you will have to set a New Config. Then unRAID will just accept the disks with their contents. It's possible it won't be able to mount one or more disks if there is any corruption. In that case, don't accept the offer to format. Instead, try to repair the filesystems.

Archived