realies

Temperature on Seagate disks not shown

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Running a few Seagate disks (ST3500418AS, ST2000DM001) and their temperature is not detected. Please fix?

True. It took about 10 minutes for the webGui to update the * symbol to an actual temperature reading after spinning up the drives for a parity check.

The default polling value is IMO to high, go to Settings -> Disk Settings and change Tunable (poll_attributes) to a lower value, like 120  or 180 seconds.

Thanks for the tip. Strange that the default is set to 30 minutes. Is there any additional stress that polling significantly more often (e.g. every 60 seconds) could cause? I guess my question could be rephrased as, is polling SMART causing the drive to perform any additional work out of its ordinary SMART health monitoring?

4 hours ago, realies said:

Thanks for the tip. Strange that the default is set to 30 minutes. Is there any additional stress that polling significantly more often (e.g. every 60 seconds) could cause? I guess my question could be rephrased as, is polling SMART causing the drive to perform any additional work out of its ordinary SMART health monitoring?

It had trouble with certain drives (Seagate in particular) when pulling smart reports while disk was getting heavy I/O with preclear. In fact my worst drive experience ever happened with such a drive that was running on a non-motherboard controller. Maybe was a bad drive all along, but I was pretty convinced it was related to the smart reports and since stuck with motherboard ports and limiting smart reports. And I've never had anything like the wonky symptoms I saw from that drive that I returned for exchange.

Would be nice if guI had an option to trigger a reread of the attributes when you specifically wanted them to refresh. Otherwise, you might leave it an.infrequent internal.

A problem (in the past) was that quering SMART information could interfere with the normal operation of the disk. This was mostly noticable when a parity check was done and parity check times could go up considerably when (too) many SMART queries were done at the same time.

The default value of 30 minutes was taken from a recommendation of smart tools, but in practise this is quite a long interval to see results in *near* real-time. In general it is safe to lower the interval to a couple of minutes. Making the interval too short may again have impact on the normal operation of the disk though.

The GUI reads the information obtained by the emhttp daemon, it doesn't query the disks directly itself.

6 hours ago, bonienl said:

The default value of 30 minutes was taken from a recommendation of smart tools

One note here is that smartmontools creates a CSV record for every processed disk so 30 minutes is a reasonable interval to create long-term logging.

When relating to a GUI I think 5 minutes would be a reasonable interval.

Just for the sake of Murphy's law while assuming a cooling problem of some sort (ambient) and one or more drives would run hot.

How long do you want your drives to run hot before a notice is generated? 

I know it is a bit far fetched but that is the time frame I personally like to work with.

Have set my Tunable (poll_attributes) to 3 minutes. Only hope that is not too long.