Kernel panic after changing hardware

btrcp2000

The last few lines of the syslog are 

Mar  6 10:08:56 UNRAID kernel: RSP: 002b:000014d35dd84228 EFLAGS: 00000246
Mar  6 10:08:56 UNRAID kernel: comskip[8831]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000010b63f8 sp 00007fff7dbb9240 error 4 in comskip[400000+11a8000]

which seems to reference: https://github.com/erikkaashoek/Comskip

I suspect your tuner card is causing the issue...  Might need to disable Comskip or update it...  Don't know much specific to that software...

That log was taken after the reboot, so those last lines are probably what it happened to be doing when I d'led the log, but it ran fine after that. The error is still something  to look into though. It seems to be stable until I reboot the VM, when all hell breaks loose. Last night I rebooted UNRAID from the GUI, and saw the kernel panic again, exact same screen.  Had to cold reboot, after which it started okay but my docker image was gone and it of course wanted a parity check. Fixed everything and now it seems fine, but obviously I cant reboot the VM.

Comskip is a process that runs when a file appears in a directory, which would only happen if the tuner finishes its job successfully.  I wouldn't be surprised if the tuners were involved as they are a PITA, but what makes you think the Comskip error is connected to the tuner?

Next time I need to reboot I will do it under FCP troubleshooting mode and post the diags.  Could be the hardware, but other folks have a similar setup.

Thanks!

I had to turn off comskip in the SageTV docker on one of my unRAID servers.  It was causing the docker to crash with OOM errors.  Running Windows version of comskip from a Windows VM and DirMon2 is working great.  So no crashes but problems when I ran comskip contained in the SageTV docker.  It was on the SageTV docker that is recording from HD-PVRs.  Have no problem with comskip on any other box that is recording Mpeg2 from OTA and QAM.

Archived