plex hardware transcoding question

david11129

I have an e3-1285l v3 that supports quicksync. In theory, this should work for the plex docker to use for hardware transcoding. My motherboard however is an x10sl7-f-0. The only video outputs are tied to a dedicated old and slow server gpu built in to the mobo. Does the gpu in the cpu need to have an output to utilize quicksync? Hopefully I'm asking that right. Can I still use hardware decoding even though the motherboard doesn't support an integrated gpu? I don't want to get too far into playing with this, only to find out if doesn't work. My cpu has enough horsepower to transcode without hardware acceleration. This is more of a proof of concept/sound like a fun project type thing.

(Sorry If this isn't the correct place, the docker support section seemed mainly for actual issues with the plex docker,not so much a simple question.)

Read through the linked discussion for all the requirements for hw transcoding with Plex (must have a Plex Pass)

Unless the BIOS allows you to select the iGPU/iGFX as the primary graphics adapter, it probably will not work.  The caveat is that even if there is a selection for iGFX/iGPU, it may refer to the built-in MB graphics and not the CPU-integrated graphics.  My backup server has IPMI and an onboard BMC for controlling IPMI/KVM video.  The manual specifically states that due to video control by the BMC controller (Aspeed AST 2300) the CPU integrated graphics cannot be used.  You may have a similar situation.

If the only selections are "onboard/iGFX/iGPU (or something similar)", AUTO or a PCIe graphics adapter, it probably will not work. "Onboard/IGFX" will probably be the built-in MB graphics adapter.

Unless you can somehow select the CPU-integrated graphics as the primary graphics adapter, the necessary drivers to support hardware transcoding in Plex will not be loaded.

Archived