Enable Virtual Assistants in UnRaid?

b15a9a

I'm planning on using UnRaid for my OS to store files. As virtual vssistants are gradually being implemented within the Internet of Things, I was wondering if there is any possibility if UnRaid has integration of a virtual assistant such as Alexa or Google Assistant. If not will there be a possibility of that to be implemented in a later update?

Edited by b15a9a

You need to remember that unRAID is basically a NAS for storing files and a virtual assistant does not make sense in such a scenario.

A virtual assistant belongs at the application level and as such it would need to run as either a docker or VM.    UnRAID does not include any support for sound so this would probably need a VM with the sound hardware passed through to the VM so that appropriate drivers can be loaded.

And as a NAS, it can already serve files to clients, whether they be dockers or VMs actually on the same computer, or other devices around the house. The "categorization" of files can be done by having separate user shares (or just subfolders) for different kinds of media.

I expect very few unRAID users even have a speaker attached.

47 minutes ago, trurl said:

I expect very few unRAID users even have a speaker attached.

Until the advent of VMs (which are at the application level I think the vast majority of people ran their unRAID systems headless so even if a speaker was attached it did not get used for anything significant.    I expect that was one of the reasons why the addition of the unRAID GUI mode boot was only relatively recently introduced.

i wonder what proportion of unRAID servers are still run in headless mode - maybe that would be a good topic for a new poll?

Edited by itimpi

Me: "unRaid, what's the status of my parity check?"

unRaid: "Your parity check will complete in 4 hours 37 minutes and 7 seconds."

Me (4 minutes later) ""unRaid, what's the status of my parity check?"

unRaid: "Your parity check will complete in 4 hours 33 minutes and 15 seconds."

Me (2 minutes later) ""unRaid, what's the status of my parity check?"

unRaid: "Your parity check will complete in 99 years 8 months 3 days 3 hours 15 minutes and 43 seconds."

• 1 year later...